Vice President, Marketing
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities- beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
New York Road Runners (NYRR) is the world’s premier running organization with the mission of helping and inspiring people through running. Over the last 60 years, NYRR has become the global champion of the running movement, empowering individuals and whole communities to get healthy and fit, for themselves and for the greater good. NYRR organizes 50+ races annually throughout New York City and 100 total events, including: the famed TCS New York City Marathon, the NYRR Five-Borough Series and NYRR’s three Heritage events.
As an organization, NYRR has over 60,000 members and reaches more than 400,000 runners while providing youth and community service programs to more than 200,000 children and senior citizens. NYRR mobilizes tens of thousands of volunteers each year to support its events and inspires neighborhoods via spectators who line the streets and parks to watch the races in action. Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all of its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
The Marketing Department within NYRR is charged with managing the organization’s marketing & promotion, brand, creative, and social media. The organization seeks to 1) tell the larger NYRR story of immense impact achieved through delivering our mission of helping and inspiring people through running; 2) broaden engagement with runners of all types and deepen our community impact; 3) drive the pipeline of consumer and financial sustainability; and 4) strengthen our alignment with, and support of, our partners.
About the Position
NYRR is seeking a dynamic, innovative, digitally savvy marketing executive to lead a data-driven, strategic and technology-forward approach in the development of consumer marketing and promotional programs aimed to drive impact and engagement for our runners, youth participants and multicultural focus. Bringing superior marketing acumen and inspirational leadership, the ideal candidate for this role is passionate about consumers, brands, innovation, and digital platforms, and will have a track record of running end-to-end revenue-driving and reach-expanding marketing and e-commerce activities.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the VP of Marketing will be a member of the senior leadership team and will deliver organizational impact through designing and building marketing strategies to drive runner acquisition and retention, increase brand recognition and effectively tell the story of NYRR’s mission. Additionally, the VP will oversee creative, direct the overall brand identity and portfolio of sub-brands, manage new/social media channels, and drive communications and community efforts, ensuring connectivity and cohesiveness across products, programs and event offerings. The VP should be a collaborative executive, able to work seamlessly and positively with fellow senior leadership team members.
Marketing Planning and Operations
- Innovate and continuously improve marketing outreach methods, including email marketing, inbound marketing, SEO/SEM, social marketing and traditional media as warranted
- Oversee social and other new media channels to drive engagement and sales, ensure year-round calendar and content are planned out carefully and strategically to tell stories that increase runner participation both online and offline
- Utilize strategic alignment, analytics and target outcomes to optimize and operationalize online marketing and digital activities
- Make and drive data-informed decisions and establish effective frameworks, metrics, and strategies to inform the organization’s approach to both brand marketing, and acquisition and retention marketing strategies
- Stay at the forefront of industry developments and shift resources appropriately as new technologies emerge
Marketing Content Strategy and Development
- Tell the NYRR story to runners on local and global scales, inspire communities of people to allow NYRR to transform them through running
- Provide a strategic vision for all types of marketing and ensure robust, integrated, and flawless execution of its mission
- Drive creation and communication of web strategies, digital marketing, and social media activities that improve customer acquisition and retention, creating a community of running enthusiasts and NYRR fans
- Ensure marketing focus on NYRR’s offerings, including our calendar of events, youth programs and initiatives, runner products and programming
- Manage brand and creative portfolio and set the tone of any future creative assets and identities
- Lead a team spread across brand marketing, digital communications, and creative services
- Work closely with key internal stakeholders to develop and execute dynamic campaigns that drive growth for their target products, programs and offerings
- Develop strong, trusting relationships across the senior leadership team, providing leadership in marketing strategy, ideation, and execution
- Evaluate the overall marketing function and structure for scalability and plan for the individual professional and personal growth of the team
- Determine what marketing agencies to work with to complement the existing team, and drive growth.
- Develop and refine department operating policies and procedures
- Communicate effectively with the CEO on all planning, directional and executional details and results
- 15+ years of omnichannel marketing experience, ideally as a head of marketing in a high-growth, high-impact consumer organization with digital-focused brand activities
- Proven record of developing and executing innovative online and out of home marketing programs to drive revenue, brand awareness, engagement, acquisition and retention
- Knowledgeable in consumer and market trends, both within running, sports and youth programs but also marketing beyond and with the savvy to apply leading-edge thinking from other industries
- Achievement as a manager, leader, and coach/mentor with success in hiring and fostering growth of their team
- Experience partnering with product and partnership managers to deliver revenue, brand and/or customer acquisition results
- Experience forecasting and managing marketing budgets
- Experience managing external resources: agencies, creative talent vendors
Skills and Attributes:
- Both operationally and strategically minded; both able to roll up their sleeves and build integrated brand/marketing architecture and frameworks, and can communicate this effectively to company leadership, the full organization, the Board, and runners
- Deep understanding of the digital environment and evolving tools and platforms used to improve online presence; Excellent working knowledge of social media outreach strategies and community building; Fluency with website management, web analytics and conversion metrics
- Experience using digital & offline channels and tools to drive new customer acquisition, build a brand, customer base, and community-driven content
- Highly analytical; able to make data-driven decisions and establish effective metrics to approach marketing strategy and spend
- Outstanding leadership and people management skills with the ability to successfully motivate and challenge a team of talented and creative people at all levels of the organization
- High level of intellectual horsepower combined with the ability to listen to and learn from their team
- Budgeting/ Financial acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail
- Possess a strong work ethic with a drive to succeed
- Personality that embodies humility, collaboration, confidence, transparency, high energy, and passion; Role model of NYRR core values
- Proactive communicator who keeps leadership informed of plans and progress
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Bachelors degree in a related field; graduate degree a plus
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer