Manager, Team for Kids
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Although best known for the Marathon and our weekly races throughout New York City, serving children and communities through running is central to NYRR’s mission. What began in 1998 with one site and 15 children has blossomed into Rising New York Road Runners, a comprehensive and dynamic youth running program, which impacts nearly 250,000 children in New York City and across the United States.
About the Position
Team for Kids is the primary fundraising vehicle for NYRR’s youth running programs. Our team is comprised of adult runners who received guaranteed entry into 15 premier endurance running events in 2020 while committing to fundraise in support of our youth programs.
The Team for Kids team is seeking a full-time Manager to provide an excellent and personal customer service to our members, oversee and lead all registration processes, and maintain the internal database and reporting.
This position is based in Manhattan with nights and weekend work required during peak seasons.
- Registration: Oversee and lead registration process for 15 events for Team for Kids throughout the year. This includes building and opening events in TFK’s database, creating season timelines, registering runners, member reporting, and detailed record keeping.
- Customer Service: Oversight of TFK’s customer service operation to provide unparalleled support and to our members at all times through e-mail, phone, and personal interactions. Identify and implement best practices. Must be willing to enforce strict policies on fundraising and membership often handling difficult situations.
- Process Improvement: Analyze current processes and systems to make suggestions for improvements and increased efficiencies.
- Reporting: Collect all information to compile into end of season reports for three major events. Ensure fundraising and registration numbers are tracked per event to create YOY comparisons. Monitor and report registration numbers for all events and measure against targets.
- Event Support: Attend and assist in planning of TFK training runs (held on weekdays during marathon season and Saturdays year-round), all TFK race day events in NYC, and additional recruitment and team events as needed throughout the year during evenings and weekends. This role will have specific management responsibilities of at least one of TFK event per year, while providing support to the others.
- Abbott World Marathon Registration: Coordinate with the Executive Office to oversee planning, registration and billing for TFK’s participation in the five Abbott World Marathon Major races outside of New York City. Organize team celebrations for each event.
- New Events: Lead team in evaluation and launch of new events to the TFK calendar, including overseeing registration, reporting, participant communication, fundraising and customer service. Work with the TFK team and other internal NYRR teams to actively market the new events through print, on-line and via e-mail.
- Create Your Own Event: Lead team in roll out of new offering. Oversee new registration process, administration of program, customer service, participant communications, and fundraising.
- Virtual Trainer: Help customize NYRR’s virtual training platform for the Team for Kids program, create and manage Team for Kids specific content for training site, provide customer service to runners on the platform, and create resources for TFK runners regarding how to use the site. Please note, the Manager will not be coaching runners or creating training plans but will be creating informational resources to complement the training plans on the site.
- Interact with and support coaches and other TFK staff while using the Virtual Trainer platform to deliver seamless service to TFK members. Mange coach staffing for Virtual Trainer.
- 5 years’ of relevant work experience
- Previous non-profit fundraising and management experience preferred
- Previous customer service and finance experience required
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience preferred
Skills and Attributes:
- Friendly, personable, outgoing, and energetic personality
- Knowledge and experience in project management
- Superior interpersonal skills and organizational abilities
- Ability to inspire participants and volunteers of various backgrounds
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to problem-solve quickly
- High-initiative and hard-working
- Ability to learn proprietary member and donation database
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, required
- Ability to cooperate and work within a team
- Comfort managing multiple projects with firm deadline
- High attention to detail with regards to reporting and finances
- Strong conflict resolution skills and ability to keep calm in stressful situations
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and accomplish each on tight deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Valid driver’s license preferred
- Passion for NYRR’s Mission
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer