Head of Event Production
New York Road Runners (NYRR) was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people, and has grown from a local running club into the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to help and inspire through running, aiming to empower people of all ages and abilities to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s year-round offerings of races, community events, programs, and training resources provide hundreds of thousands of people with the motivation, know-how, and opportunities to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top professional runners and committed amateurs alike, while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for New York City. NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire children in underserved communities in New York City, nationwide, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR is a 501(c)(3) organization. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
Our Event Development and Production department develops and produces NYRR events from concept all the way through execution in a way that fulfills NYRR’s mission. NYRR produces 56 races per year, in addition to the TCS New York City Marathon, and additional events within each race. The events team is responsible for physical site management, event logistics, volunteer management, hospitality and special events, safety & security, and managing our Warehouse and all race collateral.
About the Position
This position will report to the VP, Events & Technical Director of the TCS NYC Marathon, with the core responsibility of managing and leading a team that produces NYRR events properties, including the TCS New York City Marathon.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
- Fully own and manage a key business vertical of the events department (Event Production) that includes event logistics, event planning / project management, vendor and agency management, budget management, long term calendar and resource planning and onsite / venue operations.
- Provide leadership, professional expertise, and direction in the planning and execution of NYRR event properties, including the TCS New York City Marathon. Oversight of the main operational areas of the TCS NYC Marathon (Start, Course, Finish, Transportation, Baggage).
- Directly manage (3) Event Directors (as well as mentor Event Leads and Coordinators), including directing daily workloads, projects, goal setting and annual review processes.
- Demonstrate a high level of conceptual and strategic thinking to establish budgets, goals, objectives, and activities in conjunction with established organizational policies and procedures. Including the ability to assess and implement strategic workflow processes and procedures that maximize department’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Contribute to departmental goal setting and work closely with team members to develop individual performance goals that align with organizational and departmental plans.
- Contribute to short and long-term organizational planning and strategy as a member of the management team. Develop new and/or grow event properties in accordance with the organization’s strategic plan.
- Develop and maintain event standards (production levels, participant services and amenities, medical, safety, security, communications, technology solutions and contingency plans), planning management tools and event analytics for all events with the goal of optimizing operational efficiencies.
- Careful resource planning; including the preparation and management of all event budgets and staffing models.
- Assess and implement strategic workflow processes and procedures that maximize department efficiency and effectiveness.
- Liaison externally with City Agencies (Parks, CPC, PPA, NYPD, FDNY EMS, Mayor’s Office CECM, DOT, DSNY, MTA, etc.) and local communities to ensure successful operation of NYRR events.
- Liaison internally with Business Development and Strategic Partnerships, Marketing, Public Relations, Strategy & Planning, IT and Finance to ensure the entire organization is together on partner deliverables, brand messaging and participant communications, overall organizational strategy, and budgets for NYRR event properties.
- Collaborate with the Runner Services, Warehouse, Experiential, Race Scoring, Volunteer, Hospitality, Broadcast, Security and Medical teams in ED&P to ensure all plans integrate seamlessly into the overall event operations.
- Other duties and department projects as assigned.
- 8-10 years of event management experience, preferably in the sports and/or entertainment industries, including strong logistical/operational and team management background. Previous experience in the NYC event planning landscape and with endurance/running events is strongly preferred.
Education & Certifications:
- College degree preferred but not required.
Skills and Attributes:
- Ability to relate to and work with diverse populations is essential, as are a positive attitude and an appreciation of the value of physical fitness and running.
- Must have event site planning and management experience.
- Ability to manage to budgets and provide detailed analysis and reports.
- Willingness to travel, work various weekends (early hours) and extended hours as needed.
- Resourceful, strategic thinking combined with a strong work ethic and tenacity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Focused attention to detail. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Works well under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Comfortable presenting to organizational senior management and external City Agencies.
- USATF Official Certification and technical knowledge of road racing preferred.
- FEMA Level 100, 200, 700 and 800 training preferred.
- CPR/AED and First Aid Certification preferred.
- Forklift certification preferred.
- Proficient in Spanish a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Business Applications; Excel; PowerPoint; Word; Visio and/or AutoCAD preferred.
- Ability to lift heavy equipment greater than 25lbs.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer