NYRR Open Run Associate (Part-Time)
About the Department
The Youth & Community Runner Engagement team oversees a variety of programs that offer the running community opportunities to actively support NYRR's mission to help and inspire people through running. One of the programs is NYRR's Team for Kids charity team that has more than 7,000 annual members who raise money for free running programs serving more than 267,000 kids in New York City and across the country. Another program is NYRR Open Run, a free community run/walk program in 17 parks in New York City with more than 20,000 participants. This department also oversees NYRR Run for the Future, a high-touch, high-impact summer program for girls in their senior year of high school to build self-esteem, confidence, and leadership skills, while training for a 5K race. Participants who complete the program receive a $2,000 college scholarship. The team also leads the NYRR Community Champions and Youth Ambassadors programs.
About the Position
The PT NYRR Open Run Associate is the primary and most direct link to the volunteer community members that maintain the NYRR Open Run program. Associates are assigned NYRR Open Run park sites across the metro area to provide technical support and training to volunteers implementing and administering the program and related events. This position reports to the Manager, NYRR Open Run.
- Manage 2 to 5 NYRR Open Run sites across metro area and schedule regular site visits a month to educate volunteers and participants, provide guidance on the program and assess program integrity.
- Maintain regular communication with Volunteer Run Directors and other volunteers who operate the events in your borough in person and via email and phone.
- Support posting of program content on each park’s Facebook Groups with events and other relevant information. Send out weekly emails to members of your Open Run parks.
- Collaborate with other PT Borough Coordinators and FT NYRR Open Run Team members to implement communication strategies that will increase awareness and participation at Open Run at all sites.
- Attend neighborhood functions and meet community leaders to find volunteers interested in leading or supporting their local NYRR Open Run.
- Assist with ongoing planning, recruitment and training for volunteers, including setting up meeting logistics and preparing presentations and materials for each site.
- Maintain the equipment for all the Open Run locations in your borough.
- Assist with the management and incentive distribution for volunteers and participants. Motivate participants toward achieving incentives.
- Support the management and communication of weekly run results on a timely basis.
- Document all site management efforts and report all progress and issues to the Assistant Manager, NYRR Open Run.
- Assist in formal and informal testing of new systems and processes for program implementation.
- Work multiple weekday and weekend days a year at major NYRR and YCS events, in accordance with the youth events participation policy.
- Perform other tasks as needed by supervisor.
- Community engagement experience preferred
- Event planning and management experience is preferred.
- Undergraduate degree preferred or in process of obtaining undergraduate degree required
Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Knowledge of NYC and Outer Boroughs preferred
- Comfortable working with a diverse group of people
- Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment.
- Forward thinking mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Focused attention to detail. Ability to effectively manage multiple projects simultaneously and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Works well under pressure and tight deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
- Initiative to identify and offer suggestions for improvements or enhancements
- General appreciation for living a healthy lifestyle
- First Aid and CPR/AED a plus
- Willingness to travel, work various weekends and extended hours as needed.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer