Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
About the Department
The Finance and Accounting Department’s mission includes safeguarding and growing the company’s assets, establishing and maintaining a functioning set of policies and procedures, while ensuring compliance to audit and generally accepted accounting principles and ethical standards. This is accomplished by
- Managing all receipts and disbursements for the Company
- Financial reporting to Management and the Board
- Budget preparation
- Managing annual audit
- Preparing annual taxes, and other governmental filings
- Reporting to granting agencies
About the Position
The Director of Financial Planning and Analysis manages the budgetary strategy and operations of the organization, while leading and maintaining ongoing financial analysis support across departments and business units. Applying principles of accounting and financial management best practices, the Director sets the financial direction and helps liaise between business units and senior organizational leadership. Additionally, this role coordinates with the Controller and financial operations functions to ensure cohesive delivery of financial process execution.
Job Responsibilities: (including but not limited to):
- Develop and prepare annual budget, including setting of annual budget targets, leading departments through budgeting process and preparing the rolled-up budget for delivery to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and Board of Directors.
- Perform monthly review and analysis of results for budget stakeholders; monitor adherence to projections and perform variance analysis.
- Provide timely financial analyses and financial input to organization and P&L leaders as needed
- Ensure maintenance of, and drive evolution of, financial systems. Proactively apply best practices to manage ERP and reporting systems/software.
- Participate as a key member of the finance team, influencing decision making, identifying finance priorities, managing finance staff directly and indirectly
- Improve organizational understanding of financial statements, collaborate with operating teams to provide data-driven recommendations to improve profitability, efficiency and financial effectiveness
- Enforce relevant financial policy compliance and recommend relevant policy and procedural changes that support the business and compliance
Skills and Attributes:
- Advanced financial skills, including planning, analysis, modeling and presentation skills utilizing existing tools as well as building reporting and analysis from the ground up
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of financial information and distill/communicate to org-wide stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfort with interacting and presenting both information and recommendations to senior leadership and board
- Makes decisions based on data and strategic alignment to long-term business objectives
- Effective multitasker capable of meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Flexible and adaptive, seeking out opportunities to improve processes and evolve financial operations
- Deep understanding of end-user needs outside of the core Finance department and proactive approach to seeking out stakeholder input and requirements
- Minimum of 10 years of finance or accounting experience.
- Team leadership, including hiring, developing, mentorship and driving performance
- Knowledgeable in GAAP
- Bachelor`s degree (Accounting or Finance). CPA or advanced degree in Accounting, Finance or Business preferred.
Other Requirements Preferred/Optional Skills:
- Experience, understanding and comfort with ERP, analytical technology-forward software tools (Netsuite and Adaptive preferred but not required)
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer