Mechanic - Brooklyn Army Terminal
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Asset Management Operations Department is responsible for protecting and enhancing the value of City-owned real estate assets and to serve the operational needs of tenant businesses. In addition, the Department collects lease and fee income revenue for EDC and assists EDC in the allocation of resources among its properties.
Your Role: Responsible for performing a variety of duties to maintain, inspect and perform repairs. The position may require weekend work which could involve both days of the weekend.
- Perform basic maintenance repairs on systems including electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry, masonry, paint and glass.
- Fill out paperwork including, but not limited to, work orders, inventory, inspection and preventive maintenance forms.
- Perform preventive maintenance and repair/troubleshoot buildings' systems and components, including but not limited to, doors, windows, locks, valves and radiators.
- Provide technical guidance and direction to maintenance personnel. Schedule and coordinate work assignments of maintenance personnel as per supervisor.
- Respond to emergencies as required. 24 hrs./ 7 days, on-call responsibilities.
- Schedule and attend meetings with contractors, customers and/or tenants. Monitor contractors' delivery of improvements or repairs to buildings.
- Conduct regular inspection of assigned properties and advise supervisor of any maintenance needs.
Other Responsibilities: Maintenance and repair of windows, skylights, exterior doors, weather-stripping and locksets; Select and use various types of chemical cleaners and strippers; Other duties as required.Qualifications:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3 - 5 years of experience required with working knowledge in maintenance and upkeep of commercial properties
- Valid New York state Driver’s License with clean driving record
- Working knowledge of construction and handyman repair techniques.
- Experience in the following areas: electrical, plumbing, heating/air conditioning, drywall and equipment associated with trades.
- Ability to push or carry objects.
- Knowledge of New York City.
- Good communication skills and ability to work alone
- MS Office Word and Outlook
- Use of two-way radios
- Ability to establish New York City residency within 180 days of starting
- Stand – 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
- Walk – 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
- Sit – Under 1/3 of the time
- Use hands to finger, handle, or feel – Over 2/3 of the time
- Reach with hands and arms –1/3 to 2/3 of the time
- Climb or balance – 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl – Under 1/3 of the time
- Talk or Hear – Over 2/3 of the time
- Lift up to 10 pounds – Over 2/3 of the time
- Lift up to 25 pounds – Under 1/3 of the time
- Lift up to 50 pounds – Under 1/3 of the time
- Lift up to 100 pounds – Under 1/3 of the time
- Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
- Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
- Color vision
- Peripheral vision
- Depth perception
- Work near moving mechanical parts – Under 1/3 of the time
- Work in high, precarious places – Under 1/3 of the time
- Outdoor weather conditions – 1/3 to 2/3 of the time
- Loud noise (manufacturing department, large equipment)
- Wet or humid conditions (non-weather) - 1/3/to 2/3
- Work near moving mechanical parts - Under 1/3
- Work in high, precarious places - Under 1/3
- Fumes or air borne particules- None
- Toxic or caustic chemicals - None
- Outdoor weather conditions - Under 1/3
- Extreme cold (non-weather) - None
- Extreme heat (non-weather) - None
- Risk of electrical shock - Under 1/3/
- Work with explosives - None
- Risk of radiation - None
- Vibration - None
About NYCEDC:New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.