Vice President & Chief of Staff - Government and Community Relations
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Government and Community Relations Division (GovCo) helps bridge the gap between the work of NYCEDC and the needs and ideas of New Yorkers impacted by our projects. We advance EDC’s agenda and ensure projects advance smoothly by cultivating external relationships, developing public engagement strategies and building political and community support for EDC’s projects.
Your Role: As a personnel manager on our dynamic team you will be responsible for overseeing public engagement for all of our transportation projects, legislative affairs, and industry initiatives Citywide.
- Be collaborative, accessible and helpful at all times.
- Manage and coach assigned employees; ensure employees are oriented to their position and provided with appropriate training, development and continuing education.
- Monitor employee performance and provide coaching & feedback on an ongoing basis.
- Work closely with the SVP to ensure GovCo operations are aligned with Company-wide goals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with NYCEDC Senior Staff, City Hall staff, interagency liaisons, and other key stakeholders to advance and support GovCo’s work.
- Facilitate strong inter-agency and inter-divisional communication.
- Develop and implement strategies to address project-specific challenges.
- Oversee the creation of public, elected official and stakeholder engagement strategies to inform and engage communities and stakeholders about NYCEDC our transportation projects, legislative affairs, and industry initiatives across the City, and other areas and initiatives as assigned
- Ensure that Citywide initiative and legislative affairs messaging is consistent and coordinated across NYCEDC divisions and NYC geographic areas.
- Assist in the development and implementation of key initiatives critical to the mission of NYCEDC.
- Assist GovCo team members and NYCEDC project managers in developing presentations to elected officials, community boards, and other stakeholders regarding progress and status of NYCEDC projects.
- Oversee day-to-day relationship management with key external stakeholders Citywide.
- Prepare NYCEDC staff, including the President’s Office, for hearings before the New York City Council and other public meetings.
- Brief the NYCEDC President, President’s Office, NYCEDC leadership, and City Hall staff on various initiatives and projects within the portfolio.
- Collaborate with other NYCEDC departments on new initiatives designed to promote the organization’s mission.
- Manage the execution of various work streams (including coordinating cross-departmental or cross-agency teams) for each initiative
- Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of forging consensus around complex projects between wide arrays of stakeholders.
- Must enjoy solving problems.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Experience managing and coaching staff
- At least 5 years of experience working with elected officials, public agencies, and/or community-based organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to anticipate problems and devise creative solutions.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly organized individual, capable of prioritizing competing interests and managing multiple projects in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Experience advancing and staffing a principal preferred, ideally a government or elected official.
- Ability to travel within the five boroughs of New York City and attend evening meetings.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) is a non-profit organization that reports to the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development and Rebuilding. The NYCEDC is charged with encouraging economic growth in New York City through a variety of means, including facilitating real estate development, improving infrastructure, attracting and retaining businesses, and conducting economic research and analysis. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the City of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive team where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected, and have an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401 (a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, and discounted gym memberships and movie tickets.