Chief of Staff - Initiatives
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Initiatives Department at NYCEDC seeks to understand the rapidly changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors and to conceive, develop, and implement innovative programs that address specific sector challenges and opportunities. Initiatives projects are agile, strategic and impact-focused. We create, launch, and manage programs across industries: urban innovation & sustainability; industrial & manufacturing; fashion; emerging & applied technology; life sciences; healthcare; social finance; and international affairs.
Your Role: The Initiatives Chief of Staff will serve as a liaison across multiple departments, direct independent projects, and work in a variety of capacities in support of and close collaboration with the leadership of NYCEDC’s Initiatives Department. This is a strategic and leadership role within the group, reporting to the head of the department, and working closely with him/her to set direction for the group, improve operations and communications, represent the department across the organization, and ensure the team is strategically aligned with the broader agenda and activities of NYCEDC. The role is a unique one in that it combines Chief of Staff responsibilities with industry engagement, ideation and implementation responsibilities. It is expected Chief of Staff responsibilities will require 40 – 80% of time (peaking in fiscal year) and the remaining 20 – 60% will be focused on industry engagement, ideation and execution based on interest, experience and departmental priorities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sector Specific Strategy
- Through stakeholder relationship management, identify and understand industry trends that can inform new interventions and investments in targeted sectors
- Develop new program and intervention strategies and lead cross-collaborative teams in program development
- Lead the development and implementation of project management strategies that result in programs being delivered on time, on budget and producing desired impact and outcomes
- Manage leveraging internal research and evaluation resources and stakeholder relationships to assess, measure, identify challenges and determine impact and paths forward to scale or pivot programs
- Departmental Administration and Strategic Planning
- Manage internal operations ranging from reporting on project portfolios to creating and communicating new processes Provide quality control on inter-departmental processes and communication documents and dissemination of departmental and EDC-wide policies
- Create internal and external presentations on Initiatives Department work
- Lead Fiscal Year Budget preparation & strategic planning around President’s Office 4 year goals development for Initiatives.
- Leading and coordinating data requests from President’s Office/City Hall
- Coordinate budget summaries, projections, and funding requests, monitor quarterly budget reports, and prepare budget documents for Initiatives projects and department operations
- Serve as primary point to Budget for project reporting; collaborate with department VPs to compile recommendations on departmental, project and programmatic budgets to be made to SVP. Provide regular budget status updates.
- Prepare weekly updates for department leadership and President’s Office
- Staffing and Personnel Management
- Build, and manage an Initiatives Project Support Team (two – three direct reports)
- Serve as liaison between HR and Initiatives for all new hires, including full time staff and seasonal interns
- Communicate status updates regarding hiring, recruiting to department
- Maintain and update the department’s onboarding documents
- Implement and coordinate a 360 review process for department staff
- Coordinate staff enrichment events
- Develop and implement a Project Manager Training Program that builds off of the PM Onboarding plan and leverages in-house expertise to build skills amongst PM talent pool
- Taking on special projects as needed or self-initiated to ensure consistent criteria in staff hiring and promotion.
- Assisting new hires with onboarding
- Departmental Leadership and Portfolio Management
- Serve as primary point to Economic Research & Analysis team on the monitoring and evaluation framework
- Coordinating efforts with Partnerships, ERA, SIG, External Affairs and Asset Management, particularly around navigating external stakeholder engagement within key Initiatives sectors.
- Serve as primary point to the Partnerships department on the CRM database, internal processes and project management tools and software
- Representing as necessary, Initiatives Leadership at external stakeholder meetings and events
- Handling external inquiries (web/phone) with respect to projects and properties (initial intake) and Internal inquiries (project manager, procedures/policies)
- Serve as thought partner to department leadership
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in operations, systems and process management, including budgeting and forecasting
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, PowerPoint and other web-based project management tools and software
- NYC residency within 180 days of hire
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to express thoughts clearly and succinctly to a diverse array of audiences
- Strong problem solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to requests for information
- 5+ years of experience in project, team and stakeholder management method reflective of seasoned professional
About NYCEDC: NYCEDC is New York City's primary vehicle for promoting economic growth.
NYCEDC consists of teams of skilled and dedicated individuals with knowhow and expertise across many fields including community/neighborhood development, workforce development, real estate, industry and sector analysis, design, urban planning, marketing, engineering, financial analysis and more. But we all have one thing in common, a passion for New York City and its people.
All of our work at NYCEDC expresses itself in: promoting and growing quality jobs for all New Yorkers and in cultivating dynamic, resilient communities across all five boroughs.
To learn more, visit: https://www.nycedc.com/