Fall/Winter Intern - Planning
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC is searching for a highly capable undergraduate student to work as a paid intern in the Planning Department. Candidates must be a highly motivated student with strong interpersonal skills. The intern will have the opportunity to learn about zoning, land use, and environmental review as practiced in New York City.
Your Role: The intern will be assigned tasks for projects that may involve zoning analysis, massing studies, site planning, mapping, environmental and land use review, and other topics related to land use, transportation and economic development in New York City. The intern will assist on projects for department across the Corporation and will be expected to perform independently under light supervision.
- Prepare base maps, neighborhood context and land use maps
- Analyze zoning regulations and produce massing models to assist in site selection for the development of City-owned properties.
- Assist in preparation of Requests for Proposals (RFPs) to develop City-owned properties.
Research and Analysis
- Assist with studies of City-owned development sites or neighborhoods, which may involve site visits, land use analysis, zoning analysis, extensive demographic analysis, and real estate research.
- Gather site information from EDC’s project files and resources such as the Municipal Archives; Borough Topographic Bureaus; and NYC Department of City Planning.
Land Use Approval and Environmental Review
- Assist in drafting, preparing, and filing of Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) applications and environmental review documents, including Environmental Assessment Statements (EASs) and Environmental Impact Statements (EISs).
- Prepare for and assist at daytime and evening public meetings.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Urban Planning, Urban Studies, Geography, or Public Policy.
- Proficiency in ArcGIS, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Strong writing, research and analytical skills
- Must be available for at least 14 hours and up to 20 hours per week
- Interest in pursuing graduate studies in urban planning and policy
- Interest in New York City’s neighborhoods and built environment
About the Planning Department: The Planning Department provides in-house consultation and project management for NYCEDC and its clients on zoning, environmental review, contaminated site cleanup, landmark issues, urban renewal, federal and state regulated wetland issues, and other planning topics. The department also prepares or reviews ULURP documents related to NYCEDC-sponsored or supported real estate transactions and initiatives, reviews CEQR/SEQR documents related to real estate transactions, initiatives and permits, and handles SEQR reviews of the NYC Industrial Development Agency.
About NYCEDC: New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.