Senior Vice President, Economic Research & Policy
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Economic Research and Policy Department is responsible for analyzing the economic and fiscal impact of major influences on the City’s economy to inform strategic priorities NYCEDC, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, and the Mayor’s Office. Topics range from significant events such as national political conventions to private development projects to City infrastructure investments and economic policy decisions. The department also publishes monthly reports on economic conditions and trends.
Position Overview: The Senior Vice President (SVP) position will report to the Chief Strategy Officer and will be charged with leading NYCEDC’s economic research by monitoring trends and economic and political developments, forecasting major economic indicators, and analyzing the fiscal impact of projects as well as supporting grant applications. The SVP plays a key role within NYCEDC by working cross-functionally in the organization to support decision-making and surface important trends that deserve a policy response. The team is also responsible for providing high quality data analysis and fiscal impact to support projects and grant applications. The role includes developing the team’s capabilities and data product offerings to keep research relevant to economic trends and NYCEDC’s policy priorities. The successful candidate will also be responsible for developing publication products and communicating the results of analyses to senior leadership across agencies, City Hall and relevant external stakeholders.
Responsibilities may include designing and building quantitative models and applying econometric analysis to economic and financial data; valuation analyses; reviewing, summarizing, and analyzing industry trends; creating trial exhibits and presentation materials; writing code for complex data analysis; participating in client meetings; and drafting memos and expert reports
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Strategic vision and leadership:
- Collaborate with NYCEDC programs and individuals in helping shape and inform project proposals and project implementation with sound economic thinking
- Drive strategic stakeholder engagement needed to create data-driven policy
- Monitor research trends, data changes and relevant publications to educate leadership and inform ongoing policy decisions
- Develop and publish monthly public reports on the most significant economic trends
- Promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose
- Direct, motivate and coach staff at all levels
- Oversee requests from other NYCEDC departments and City administration to evaluate the impact of economic development policies and projects; ensure issues are properly and independently framed
- Determine appropriate methodology and information source(s) for specific projects
- Supervise the production of economic and fiscal impact estimates
- Provide verbal and written briefings on economic issues to NYCEDC and City senior leadership, with particular emphasis on translating technical/quantitative information for non-technical audiences
- Review and advise on the technical quality of economics research in NYCEDC projects
- Oversee the evaluation of the impact of NYCEDC’s economic development investments and programs, both at the ideation stage and during implementation.
- Supervise NYCEDC’s publications on economic and industry trends.
- Manage Department budget, staff resource allocation, and associated management tasks
- Provide project management leadership for executing projects
- Monitor and evaluate publication effectiveness and provide recommendations
- Master’s Degree in Economics, Urban Planning, Public Policy or related relevant fields (required)
- 7-10 years of professional research experience with a proven substantive (research and/or publication) track record applied towards projects or policymaking
- Demonstrate a drive to results and accountability, and fosters the same in others
- Proven ability to attract, hire, develop and retain staff members through inspired, fair and respectful management
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs and opportunities and manage concurrent projects
- Experience with modeling economic impacts of policy interventions and real estate projects (preferred)
- Thorough understanding of large datasets including Census and BLS microdata, NYC Open Data Portal, and other ‘big data’ sources, and the ability to analyze data to inform policy and decision making
- Familiarity with Stata, Excel, SAS, Python, and/or R (preferred)
- Ability to think creatively about economic development and local policy
- Strong written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to undertake, oversee and guide research and analyze economic issues
- Experience in working collaboratively and reaching a consensus among stakeholders
- Effectively brings creative solutions to projects and remove roadblocks
- Demonstrated experience in economic development, urban infrastructure, real estate, and/or public policy issues
- Knowledge of New York City, State and Federal government is a plus
- Knowledge of issues facing New York City is a plus
- New York City Residency is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!