Summer Intern - Budget
Make Your Mark on New York City
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC is seeking passionate Summer Interns to join our dynamic team of skilled and dedicated New Yorkers committed to making New York City a more prosperous place to live and work.
The Budget Department: We are NYCEDC’s fiscal resource, partnering with NYCEDC departments and City agencies to lead in financial planning, analysis and accountability with a commitment to service, strategic investments and transparency.
The Summer Internship Program: As a NYCEDC Summer Intern, you will attend networking activities with other interns, training and development courses, organized tours of NYCEDC assets, and so much more!
Your Internship: NYCEDC is searching for a highly capable college student to work as a paid intern in the Budget Department. Candidates must demonstrate an interest in economic development, possess research and analytical skills, and have the ability to work collaboratively. Exact schedules will be determined in consultation with the Intern.
- Perform data validation and clean-up on data sets
- Compile data on current and historic capital, expense, or programmatic projects
- Assist Budget Analysts with the preparation of the tri-annual capital, quarterly expense, and annual programmatic budgets
- Assist Budget Analysts with project reconciliations to show accurate funding sources, encumbrances, and payments made to date
- Contribute to the implementation of new processes, data tracking, or information systems
- Coordinate budget activities and documents for assigned projects and programs
- Ad hoc projects as assigned
- Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Economics, Finance, Accounting, Business, Public Policy, or related field;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Microsoft Excel and Outlook required)
- Strong communication skills including verbal, written, and presentation;
- Problem solving, especially with innovative and creative solutions;
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills;
- Ability to understand big picture and be detail-oriented;
- Ability to multi-task and respond quickly to requests for information;
- Comfort interfacing with senior officials and management; and
- Interest in urban infrastructure and economic development issues
- Experience in budgetary planning/management, procurement, project management, financial analysis, public policy analysis or a related field is a plus.
About NYCEDC: The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) is a non-profit organization that reports to the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development and Rebuilding. The NYCEDC is charged with encouraging economic growth in New York City through a variety of means, including facilitating real estate development, improving infrastructure, attracting and retaining businesses, and conducting economic research and analysis. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.