Design Director, Marketing
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs
Position Overview: The Design Director is a visual thinker and designer that creates and executes innovative design solutions for a diverse range of internal clients, departments and initiatives. The Design Director works collaboratively with the Creative Director, independently creating/managing creative development and production — to ensure successful execution of brand-aligned, conceptually-strong, content-forward digital and print communications. The Design Director serves as a design and brand ambassador, building relationships with internal departments, teams and NYCEDC leadership to inform, direct and guide marketing projects, ensure brand consistency and achieve project goals and objectives.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create innovative, comprehensive, content-aligned creative solutions that resonate with a wide range of industries and diverse audiences; flexibly translate and interpret brand strategy and business objectives into comprehensive design solutions and compelling visual concepts
- Elevate and maintain the integrity and excellence of the NYCEDC brand in all communications; educate and champion the brand with internal/external audiences
- Support continued evolution of EDC’s creative output to be digital first, with an increasing focus on integrated campaigns that maximize various target touchpoints across digital, social, video and print channels
- Compellingly and engagingly present creative work to NYCEDC leadership, senior staff and within the Marketing team — contributing to meetings, presentations and discussions in a clear, focused manner that educates, advocates, and fosters greater organizational knowledge of marketing/communications best practices
- Actively build and shape a strong, positive creative group culture and environment, exhibiting a positive attitude that represents the entire Marketing team and NYCEDC favorably and professionally
- Demonstrated ability leading comprehensive digital and print projects/campaigns from inception to completion
- Proven and varied design portfolio demonstrating successful creative outcomes across digital, social, video and print communications, brand identity, environmental graphic design, business-to-business
- Fluency in Adobe Creative Suite including After Effects and Premiere Pro; proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Keeping up to date with advancements in motion graphics animation as well as new technologies and techniques on the pulse of contemporary trends in motion design
- Knowledge/understanding of interactive experiences and web technology
- Strong written communications and presentation skills — must have proven experience communicating design concepts and strategic thinking in a clear, focused, jargon-free, and engaging manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills — you are a considerate collaborator, a valued partner and team player
- Deep experience and thorough knowledge of production techniques across digital and print media, processes, standards, and practices
- Keen interest in the variety and complexity of NYCEDC’s work, our city, our mission and the industries we work with and within
- Comfort with being nimble and agile. Able to plan but also ready to react to tight timetables and shifting organizational priorities from City Hall and EDC leadership
- Graduate or undergraduate degree in related art or design major
- 5+ years of digital and print design experience
- Strong portfolio demonstrating a diverse range of digital and print work
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.