Senior Vice President - City Planning
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Development Department is NYCEDC’s city planning team with about 20 talented professional planners, urban designers and economists. The Development Department spearheads complex planning and development projects, managing multi-party teams and coordinating with public and private partners to strengthen the city’s neighborhoods and business districts and increase public access to the waterfront.
Your Role: The Senior Vice President (SVP) will lead the Development Department and oversee a portfolio of large-scale and complex development projects involving team-oriented approaches and multiple stakeholders, with a strong emphasis on implementation and execution. The SVP will also be responsible for managing the team, including continuing to develop a culture of excellence and collaboration, coaching senior staff into leadership roles and mentoring junior staff.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide strategic direction and management to multi-disciplinary teams facilitating large-scale planning and development efforts
- Identify new projects and opportunities for the department and assist executive staff, the president’s office and the mayoral administration in long-range planning efforts
- Establish and oversee interagency working groups on select projects, meeting frequently to reach consensus, move projects forward and quickly address challenges
- Articulate a vision for and evaluate the feasibility of future development based on sound planning principles and market realities
- Develop implementation strategies for interim and long-term uses.
- Craft and manage public outreach processes. Represent the organization with elected officials, community groups, and at professional events and public forums
- Build and maintain relationships with governmental and quasi-governmental entities; real estate and business groups; civic & community organizations; cultural and professional organizations; and advocacy groups
- As needed, serve as spokesperson, representative, and ambassador of the department to a wide variety of constituencies
- Direct, motivate and coach staff at all levels
- Promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose
- Manage department budget, staff resource allocation, and provide overall guidance, management and professional development to department staff
- Promote a collaborative spirit among EDC teams
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree or Equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in planning, land use, economic or community development or equivalent
- Demonstrated expertise in project management and ability to independently direct staff
- Strong knowledge of urban infrastructure and economic development issues
- Experience with the technical aspects of the public planning and development process, preferably specific to NYC
- Can articulate strategy, and provide ongoing direction to implement that strategy
- Experience with structuring and facilitating community planning processes
- Proven ability to bring creative solutions to projects and remove roadblocks
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial and leadership skills, including interpersonal and public speaking skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with and lead negotiations and reach a consensus among several private and public sector stakeholders
- Strong written, verbal and analytical skills
- Demonstrate a drive to results and accountability, and fosters the same in others
- Proven ability to attract, hire, develop and retain staff members
- New York City Residency is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.