Project Manager, Review & Permitting
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Design & Construction Team within NYCEDC’s Asset Management division oversees the development process - capital planning, design and construction - of NYCEDC’s assets across all five boroughs of New York City.
The portfolio includes commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, port assets, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. The overall assets are divided into multiple portfolios, each managed by a Vice President. The division-wide portfolio encompasses property types including those that are standard in the real estate industry (retail, commercial, industrial), port assets (NY Cruise, rail, maritime and aviation) as well as assets particular to the public sector (public retail and wholesale markets, Broadway and non-profit theaters, and affordable industrial and commercial campuses). The annual cash flow of the AM Design & Construction division is over $500M, with a 3-year capital plan of nearly $1.5B. The division oversees over a hundred active projects. Project scopes range from build-to-suit and build-to-spec ground-up developments to value-add asset repositioning, as well as tenant improvements and interior fit-outs.
Your Role: Reporting to the Vice President (VP) of Design and Construction, Review and Permitting within the Asset Management Division.
The Project Manager is responsible for the management of the day-to-day processing of all NYCEDC tenant work requests, submissions and permitting, including review, approval, and the tracking of all work performed on NYCEDC real estate portfolio. Responsibilities involve day-to-day interaction with, and delivery of services to, portfolio managers, and asset managers within NYCEDC as well as tenant, developers, operator, permittees, consultants and outside stakeholders. The Project Manager will also help refine procedures and further streamline workflow to increase efficiency and build capacity.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage tenant improvements and relations: Interfaces with tenants, licensees, permittees, operators and/or concessionaires on all aspects of tenant improvements, construction, maintenance and repairs as per agreements with the City and/or NYCEDC.
- Create and deliver presentations, memos and other materials that effectively communicate project recommendations and/or findings to various audiences (e.g., senior NYCEDC staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders)
- Administer multiple projects involving NYCEDC assets, including all aspects of project planning, review and implementation, procurement and contract management, site visits, and all other steps necessary to ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met
- Manage consultant relations: Interface with consultants to facilitate tenant permit submissions for improvements and the processing of tenants’ documents, drawings and forms for landlord review and execution.
- Manage day-to-day processing of tenant construction improvement requests, reviews and approvals. Coordinate with tenants, consultants and NYCEDC staff that the reviews and approvals are completed in accordance with the lease and requirements of the portfolio teams.
- Manage database: Maintain a comprehensive work order system with up-to-date status and schedule of all pending construction work, repairs, inquiry submissions and transactions. Open, track and manage the work order closing process, including payment verification of all executed work. Ensure accurate recordkeeping and follow-up.
- Work with portfolio and facilities managers to coordinate tenant repairs, maintenance and alterations, and to ensure work follows permit, building guidelines and terms of lease.
- Work with portfolio and asset managers to ensure tenant compliance with capital improvements obligations under the lease. Assist with resolution of tenant disputes.
- Coordinate the permitting of special events
- Work with interdisciplinary teams facilitating the implementation of large-scale projects and development efforts
- Represent the organization in professional and public forums
- Other projects and tasks as assigned; other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in architecture, engineering, real estate management or a related field
- 3-5 years of experience in facilities, building or construction management or in a related industry or position
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills, including the ability to present to a wide variety of audiences
- Demonstrated expertise in project management
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite. Must have aptitude for learning and applying various computer programs (e.g. Oracle, PMWeb, NYC IPIS).
- Ability to organize and prioritize among competing needs and opportunities
- Anticipate and resolves problems as they arise
- Adapt well to changing priorities and circumstances, ability to prioritize
- Collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Collaborate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Valid driver's license
- Must be willing to provide 24/7 emergency response where appropriate
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.