Vice President, Energy
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Asset Management Revenue (AMR) Division manages the overall strategy for conventional and non-traditional assets across all five boroughs of New York City. The portfolio includes commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, port assets, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. The Asset Management Revenue division pursues a double-bottom line strategy, targeting not just economic returns but also multiple social metrics including but not limited to job creation and growing equitable neighborhoods. The overall assets are divided into multiple portfolios, each managed by a VP or SVP, with a Portfolio Surveillance group that monitors and enforces standards and practices across the portfolio. The division-wide portfolio encompasses all property types including those that are standard in the real estate industry (retail, mixed-use/commercial, industrial, etc.), port assets (NYC Ferry, cruise, freight/rail and aviation) as well as assets particular to the public sector (public retail and wholesale markets, Broadway and non-profit theaters, soundstages, and affordable industrial and commercial campuses). In fiscal year 2018, the department actively managed over 220 properties and over 65 million square feet at a 95% occupancy rate, generating more than $240 million in revenue.
Your Role: Reporting to the Chief of Portfolio Management, the Vice President – Energy leads the oversight, development, and direct management of energy strategies and energy assets in the newly formed Energy Portfolio. The portfolio goal is to create $10M of annual revenue by 2028, while both lowering our tenants’ energy costs and moving rapidly toward a net positive overall asset portfolio via the creation of micro-grids, energy generation assets and energy efficiency strategies. The Energy Vice President is responsible for carrying out four tactics to achieve this comprehensive strategy: bulk procurement, energy efficiency retrofits, renewable energy generation, and district energy development. The skills and responsibilities that the Energy Vice President will need to oversee the four strategies include relationship management, leasing, energy development and planning, budgeting and financial optimization, as well as developing cumulative and asset-specific energy strategies, and portfolio-wide performance measures. A critical aspect of the Energy Vice President’s role will be tailoring energy strategies based on the diverse asset classes within AMR’s portfolio and working effectively with asset managers across all portfolios and groups in AMR and AM Operations. In particular, the Vice President will advance energy investments in the Hunts Point Food Distribution Center and the Sunset Park Industrial Campus. This role will also supervise team members to carry out financial and policy analysis, tenant engagement, project management, and contract administration.
- Lead team in creating and executing energy strategies for bulk energy procurement, energy efficiency retrofits, renewable energy generation, and district energy development.
- Evaluate and execute upon opportunities for new energy asset development, drafting and administering procurements and/or capital projects to develop, expand, or reposition energy assets.
- Measure double bottom line impacts of energy efforts on net income generation and portfolio-wide net zero attainment.
- Coordinate with other asset managers and portfolios for energy-related tenant engagement and negotiations.
- Train, manage and oversee junior staff to execute on financial analysis for energy capital projects, communications (including presentations), project management, asset management and negotiations.
- Manage your portfolio team and work across AMR portfolios, as well as with other departments including AM Operations, Planning and Development, Initiatives, Strategic Investments Group, Strategy, and Finance to successfully execute energy projects.
- Develop and/or participate in special projects with City Hall, including direct interaction with the Deputy Mayor and City Hall staff.
- Direct the preparation of various contracts, requests for proposals (RFPs), and reports according to company and management expectations and guidelines and consults with Senior Management as directed regarding preparation of key correspondence and investment memoranda.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of experience in the energy sector, economic development, city or regional planning, real estate development, asset management, and/or a related field.
- An independent and strategic thinker with ability to structure and sell a plan
- Highly proficient in project management as well as financial analysis, alternatives analysis and other forms of quantitative decision-making
- Energetic, creative, and detail-oriented project management skill set
- Strong interpersonal written, verbal, and analytical skills with an emphasis on strategic and persuasive communication
- Fluency in Microsoft Office
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire)
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- Experience with energy asset management and/or utilities
- Experience with Owner’s Representation
- Experience with asset/property management, lease administration, and tenant relations
- Experience with construction management
- Experience with negotiation and document drafting
- Experience and fluency with MRI property budgeting software (or similar products, such as Yardi)
- 2+ years of direct supervisory experience
- Argus experience and/or certification
- New York City Real Estate experience
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!