Assistant Deputy Director, Design & Communications, Marketing & Engagement Team
Assistant Deputy Director Design & Communications
Marketing & Engagement Team
The Mayor’s Office of Sustainability (MOS) is responsible for developing policies and programs to enhance the near-term and long-term sustainability of the City of New York, as outlined in the City’s sustainability plan: One New York: The Plan for a Strong and Just City (OneNYC). MOS is responsible for overseeing the goals outlined in OneNYC to make New York City the most sustainable large city in the world; reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 80 percent by 2050 (80x50); achieve Zero Waste to landfill by 2030; and improve New York City’s air quality. MOS promotes the integration of sustainability goals and practices into the work of City agencies and the lives of New Yorkers.
MOS is seeking an organized communications professional with expertise in design and strategic communications to support creative development, as well as help project manage and execute the timely delivery of the team’s varied marketing and engagement programs. We're looking for a creative individual with exceptional design skills and multi-tasking abilities who can collaborate on the delivery of marketing programs around a range of climate change issues. Ideal candidates will be strong graphic designers who also have experience with all facets of delivering smart integrated marketing campaigns, as well as a knowledge and/or interest in climate change challenges and solutions. The new team member will report to the Deputy Director for Marketing and Engagement.
- Conceive, design, and provide creative direction on a variety of visual project types such as social media posts, brand materials, presentations and print materials as needed.
- Integrate and manage photography or videography production as needed
- Curate and manage a library of visual assets that can be used by the office for ongoing purposes
- Conceive and present clear creative design ideas and concepts to policy experts and other team members to support campaigns
- Provide overall design guidance to the team as needed
- Ongoing drive to understand emerging techniques, trends and philosophies in design, technology, interaction and social media for issue-based campaigns
Communications & Marketing Responsibilities:
- Superior project management skills in delivering digital or integrated marketing campaigns
- Help define and develop city-wide marketing strategies to generate demand for energy efficiency, water conservation, waste reduction, and clean energy projects.
- Provide creative direction and maintain brand integrity and messages for the office’s key programs.
- Manage editorial calendars for the office’s overall marketing and engagement priorities, obtain approvals and post content to designated channels.
- Help manage budgets and related material sourcing/procurement for key marketing programs as needed
- Track the latest digital and analytics trends to inform ongoing strategy
- 5-7 years of experience working as a digital communications designer or visual producer
- Working knowledge and interest in sustainability and climate change issues facing NYC
- Understanding and experience with developing integrated communications
- Ability to familiarize yourself quickly with technical, scientific topics
- Strong understanding of the foundational elements and principles of design
- Superior knowledge and experience with Keynote, PowerPoint, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and other design products.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time
- Pro-active and solutions oriented mindset
- An awesome, collaborative attitude