Summer Intern - Initiatives (Creative & Applied Tech)
Make Your Mark on New York City
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Are you passionate about public service and New York City? Do you want to have a hand in shaping New York City? Would you like to make a tangible impact in your community? Do you want to make impactful contributions towards our mission of growing good jobs and strengthening neighborhoods? Apply today!
NYCEDC is seeking passionate Summer Interns to join our dynamic team of skilled and dedicated New Yorkers committed to making New York City a more prosperous place to live and work.
Spending your summer as an intern with NYCEDC could be a springboard to an amazing career!
The Initiatives Department seeks to understand the rapidly-changing landscape of NYC’s key economic sectors and to design, develop, and implement innovative programs that address specific sector challenges and opportunities. Initiatives projects catalyze inclusive growth within innovation industries, support capabilities for these businesses to thrive, and build a strong base of future industry talent. Initiatives projects are strategic and impact-focused, spanning key industries including: urban innovation & sustainability, creative & applied technology, fashion, life sciences, healthcare, and cybersecurity.
The Summer Internship Program: Summer interns within the Creative & Applied Technology team will be responsible for supporting the development and management of a portfolio of programs that supports emerging technology & creative economy sectors of strategic importance to the City. These can include both ongoing and pre-launch projects across VR/AR, blockchain, artificial intelligence and big data, space technology commercialization, quantum computing, fashion/retail, and new media. As an NYCEDC Summer Intern, you will also attend networking activities with other interns, training and development courses, organized tours of NYCEDC assets, and so much more!
- Assist the Creative & Applied Technology team in all aspects of the project management lifecycle, including strategic analysis, procurement and planning, partnership development, and project implementation
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative research on market trends in emerging technology within NYC and globally to inform program design (e.g., data gathering, market analysis, stakeholder interviews)
- Provide support on all aspects of project planning and implementation, including but not limited to financial analysis, contract and procurement management, and site visits as necessary
- Create presentations, memorandums and other materials that effectively communicate research findings, project findings and/or project recommendations to key decision-makers
- Plan, coordinate, and execute events supporting NYCEDC’s thought leadership across strategic sectors, including industry roundtables, conferences, panels and other dialogues involving City stakeholders, private companies, universities and non-profit organizations
- Other duties as assigned
- Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program; candidates enrolled in public policy, economic development, urban planning, and/or sector-specific programs are a plus
- Demonstrated interest in urban economic development, public policy, and/or business development
- Proven ability in using database and presentation tools, including Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Word;
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized, with ability to multi-task and manage deadlines
- Proactive “self-starter” and “team player”; able to work in collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Understanding of urban economic development issues and NYC government preferred
About NYCEDC: The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC) is a non-profit organization that reports to the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development and Rebuilding. The NYCEDC is charged with encouraging economic growth in New York City through a variety of means, including facilitating real estate development, improving infrastructure, attracting and retaining businesses, and conducting economic research and analysis. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.