Queens Borough Director, Government & Community Relations
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Government and Community Relations Division (GovCo) helps bridge the gap between the work of NYCEDC and the needs and ideas of New Yorkers impacted by our projects. We advance EDC’s agenda and ensure projects advance smoothly by cultivating external relationships, developing public engagement strategies and building political and community support for EDC’s projects.
Position Overview: As a key member of our dynamic team, the Assistant Vice President, Queens Borough Director will be responsible for building public support for our projects in Queens through thoughtful engagement with community stakeholders and elected officials.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Be collaborative, communicative, accessible, and helpful at all times.
- Serve as the day-to-day liaison with elected officials, community boards, local civic and community-based organizations, small business owners, residents, and other stakeholders
- Develop public, elected official and stakeholder engagement strategies that inform and engage communities and stakeholders about NYCEDC and our projects in Queens.
- Develop and implement inclusive strategies to address project-specific challenges.
- Ensure that messaging is consistent and coordinated across NYCEDC divisions and NYC geographic areas.
- Assist project team members and NYCEDC project managers in developing presentations to elected officials, community boards, and other stakeholders regarding progress and status of NYCEDC projects.
- Attend public meetings across the borough, deliver presentations, and summarize stakeholder feedback for NYCEDC divisions
- Develop and maintain relationships with NYCEDC Senior Staff, City Hall staff, interagency liaisons, and other key stakeholders to advance and support GovCo’s work.
- Assist in preparing NYCEDC staff, including the President’s Office, for hearings before the New York City Council and other public meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- At least 3 years of experience working with elected officials, public agencies, community-based organizations, labor unions, and/or campaigns
- Ability to travel within the five boroughs of New York City and attend evening meetings.
- Exceptional interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Experience developing and managing public engagement campaigns and/or advocacy campaigns strongly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of local political landscape, city policy and/or borough stakeholders
- Ability to anticipate problems and devise creative solutions.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Highly organized individual, capable of prioritizing competing interests in a fast-paced, constantly evolving environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.