Director of Community Impact, President's Office
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: The Director of Community Impact is a visionary leader who will lead NYCEDC’s (EDC) mission to embed equitable practices in the organization’s economic development work and the communities it serves. The Director of Community Impact will be a senior member of the organization’s management team and will serve as a guide and thought partner across the organization to ensure that projects and initiatives have an equity lens that supports NYC’s Economic Recovery Blueprint and all other EDC initiatives and projects. Critical areas of focus will include workforce development, small business, impact investing and MWBE contracting.
The ideal candidate has excellent facilitation and communications skills, experience in program development and implementation in complex organizations, skills in measurement and evaluation, and proven management and strategy acumen and will participate in promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within NYCEDC. The Director will also lead implementation of EDC’s Equity Working Group recommendations.
Leadership & Collaboration
- Lead EDC’s efforts to implement equity principles in all programming and projects through an understanding of the organization’s strategy and vision.
- Support the organization’s ability to execute, innovate and deliver by balancing immediate concerns with the bigger picture, always identifying how decisions in one area may either positively or negatively impact outcomes.
- Seek and incorporate stakeholder feedback as appropriate throughout the lifecycle of key projects and initiatives -- as well as related to broader bodies of work. Help to ensure a results focused orientation to project planning.
- Consult and, as appropriate, involve a broad group of relevant stakeholders in decisions related to strategy and operational priorities.
- Partner with teams to outline several routes to success to protect against foreseeable problems compromising overall success
- Identify and articulate challenges and work collaboratively with team members to solve them - escalating to leaders as needed
Development and deployment of equity tools
- Evaluate develop, pilot, and deploy racial equity tools and resources to project teams for use during planning stages of projects.
- Deploy tools to identify impacted communities for a project at the outset to ensure alignment with broader priorities and resourcing decisions
- Support the development of an agency-wide framework for workforce strategies and entrepreneurship to support the economic mobility of underserved New Yorkers related to EDC’s projects, assets, and programs
Metrics & Data
- Establish, collaboratively, a set of goals, KPIs, and evaluation metrics for EDC’s work to be tracked and communicated throughout the lifetime of those projects
- Develop and establish effective procedures to audit, monitor, and evaluate projects and objectives
- Seek and use data to inform decisions, especially on time-, budget- and resource-intensive projects and initiatives
- Seek potentially conflicting information, data, and perspectives to ensure a well-rounded point of view
- Utilize a substantive and diverse set of information and inputs to evaluate options and calibrate decision-making across projects
- 10+ years of experience in projects related to large economic development, workforce development, and/or small business and impact investing
- Strong ability to work cross functionally and across multiple organizations
- Comfort and ability to interact with senior leadership within the organization as well as at the State and Local levels
- Proven ability to collaborate with executives at multiple levels and experience
- Prior experience developing metrics and dashboards that inform and influence projects
- Prior experience on workforce and diverse entrepreneurship programs development and execution
- Ability to develop information and raw data into meaningful conclusions. Able to recognize
- common factors and trends
- Expertise with group facilitation; with an ability to effectively organize and present information in group settings
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and execute on plan, including taking initiative and developing solutions
- Experience in coordination and management of multiple complex projects and processes
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.