Associate, Operations Planner – NYC Ferry Division
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The NYC Ferry Division oversees the implementation and operation of NYC Ferry along with a suite of ferry assets and projects including public and private ferry operations, landing infrastructure, and vessels.
As a member of the NYC Ferry Division, you will report to the Assistant Vice President of System Development and Oversight. You will be responsible for planning short- and medium-term service changes for NYC Ferry related to vessel operations, sailing schedules, passenger capacity allocation, and temporary route adjustments. You will also be the key data analyst for NYC Ferry reviewing ridership, on-time performance, fleet usage and additional operational metrics. In this role, you will have the opportunity to develop reports and visual charts to share with executives and the public, furthering our collective understanding of how NYC Ferry is serving the city. Additionally, you will collaborate with the team focused on long-term planning for ferries within NYCEDC.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review and coordinate updates to route schedules for seasonal changes to service based on capacity and policy considerations.
- Support decisions for temporary closures and route adjustments based on system operations data.
- Establish and maintain databases of operational data on ridership, on-time performance, fuel consumption and other metrics.
- Conduct analyses evaluating ridership trends, seat utilization, and route speed and timing.
- Develop and regularly produce clear, reports on a variety of key performance indicators for transit operations.
- Assess adequacy of route timing to improve efficiency and service reliability.
- At least 3 years professional experience in a transportation planning, data analytics and/or related (maritime, public transit, trucking, aviation, etc.) field.
- A Master’s degree in transportation planning/engineering, data science, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience analyzing large datasets and summarizing outcomes both with visual charts and in reports. High proficiency in Excel is required; additional proficiency in a data platform such as Tableau, R, PostgreSQL, or other relevant software/language preferred.
- Experience working with or on passenger ferries preferred. Maritime, public transit or other transportation experience are also welcome.
- Strong communication skills including excellent written and verbal abilities
- Valid driver’s license
- New York City resident (required within 180 days of hire)
NYCEDC’s Asset Management Revenue (AMR) Department manages the overall strategy for conventional and non-traditional assets across all five boroughs of New York City including commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. Within this department, the Ferry Division oversees a suite of ferry assets and projects including, but not limited to, public and private ferry operations, landing infrastructure, and ferry vessels. The goal of this division is to move people and goods with a focus on creating a fair return for the City, promoting economic growth, supporting quality jobs and access to opportunity, and reducing the transportation system’s impact on our infrastructure and environment.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the City of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive team where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected, and have an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401 (a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, and discounted gym memberships and movie tickets.