Vice President - Internal Audit
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Internal Audit department at NYCEDC is in the process of remaking and rebranding itself. The team is looking for a strong VP of Internal Audit to assist the EVP in these efforts and to help manage the day-to-day activities of the team.
Your role: Reporting directly to the EVP/Chief Audit Executive, the VP of Internal Audit will be responsible for organizing, structuring, and managing the day-to-day operations of the Audit team, and ensuring that the audit plan is executed on time and within budget. The VP will assist the EVP in leading the team, and will conduct audits, risk assessments, and other projects, including financial, compliance, operational, and contractual performance projects.
- Organize, structure, and manage the day-to-day activities of the Audit team, including identifying and coordinating the resources required to complete audits, supervising team members and consultants, setting milestones and deadlines, and ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Streamline and enhance the team’s audit methodology, documentation standards, departmental policies, and internal audit processes to conform to IIA standards.
- Participate with team members to perform and complete audits, as necessary.
- Develop conclusions and recommendations that ultimately strengthen the organization.
- Draft well-written audit reports and other deliverables that are balanced, accurate, and non-biased. Communicate effectively and inclusively at all levels of the organization.
- Support and guide the team in ensuring that action plans for remediation are executed timely by management.
- Proactively update the EVP on status, audit findings, and emerging issues as they arise.
- Assist the EVP in preparing Audit Committee reports and presentations by compiling and analyzing audit activities.
- Assist the EVP in performing the annual risk assessment and developing the risk-based audit plan. Understand the organization, its vision and mission, key goals, risks, and relevant policies, procedures, and processes, to evaluate risk and make audit plan recommendations.
- Develop close working relationships with key business partners to positively influence a sound internal control system and stay ahead of current change initiatives. Provide consultation relating to internal control risks and process improvement opportunities.
- Provide coaching and development feedback and opportunities to the team on an ongoing basis. Conduct performance appraisals for team members directly reporting to the position.
- Perform and/or manage special projects and reviews as directed by the EVP.
- Represent the Internal Audit Department and the EVP in promoting the department’s vision and strategy.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, MIS, or other similar major.
- 10+ years of experience in a combination of audit, risk management, process improvement, operations, or similar experience. Minimum of 7+ years of experience in audit is required, combination experience is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in leading and managing a team.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- Collaborative, excellent interpersonal skills, and strong ability to build professional relationships with business partners.
- Strong presentation skills, experience in presenting to executive leadership a plus.
- Strong financial, operational, analytical, and communications skills, both verbal and written. Ability to effectively communicate technical, statistical, or financial information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by business partners.
- Professional certification (e.g. CIA, CPA, CGAP, CISA, etc.) is required.
- A passion for the profession of Internal Audit and the desire to be a trusted advisor to management.
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire.
- Familiarity with regulatory requirements or auditing standards of AICPA, GASB, FASB, GAAS, and IIA.
- Background and understanding of IT and data analytics is a big plus.
- Experience in construction, real estate, leasing, or other similar industries is a big plus.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.