Program Manager, Opportunity M/W/DBE
The Program Manager will be an integral part of the Opportunity M/W/DBE team, providing vital assistance in the development and application of NYCEDC’s Minority and Women Business Enterprise Program (“M/WBE Program”). Opportunity M/W/DBE has an ambitious agenda and requires additional capacity to deliver on its vision of maximizing opportunities for disadvantaged businesses in public procurement, with particular focus on the construction-related trades and services most involved in NYCEDC’s work. This is accomplished through the two main aspects of the program:
- Compliance- ensuring access to opportunities and optimization of M/W/DBE participation on NYCEDC’s vast portfolio of projects
- Capacity Building- Training and assisting M/W/DBE businesses to boost their ability to compete.
The Program Manager will also be vital in running ConstructNYC, NYCEDC’s comprehensive training program that provides training and technical assistance with prequalified M/W/DBE firms and connects them with work on NYCEDC projects. This position reports to Assistant Vice President.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Data Collection and Analysis
- Work with contractors, internal NYCEDC staff and other parties to gather quality data about M/W/DBE participation
- Monitor contract award and payment data on NYCEDC projects
- Perform analysis to determine whether projects are on track to meet goals
- Identify potential shortfalls and recommend courses of action
- Create customized reports using Microsoft Excel
- Relationship Management
- Communicate with contractors/consultants regularly to keep updated on projects in real time
- Work with Contracts, Legal, NYCEDC’s Project Managers (“PMs”) and other departments to optimize NYCEDC’s M/W/DBE Program procedures and policies
- Work with PMs and contractors/consultants to develop strategies to increase outreach and utilization of M/W/DBEs
- Assist in running the ConstructNYC program
- Manage the consultant delivering training and technical assistance to ConstructNYC firms
- Serve as a liaison to the ConstructNYC firms and Construction Management firms that hire them
- Serve as a representative for the program both internally and externally
- Outcome measurement
- Conduct regular outreach (surveys, telephone calls) to track the trajectory of M/W/DBE firms that have been through any of NYCEDC’s capacity building programs to determine program impact
- Event management
- Develop, manage and execute various events that facilitate knowledge transfer and business connections within the M/W/DBE community and also between M/W/DBEs and prime contractors in a position to hire them
- Promote and market Opportunity M/W/DBE and NYCEDC at M/W/DBE events and to M/W/DBE organizations
- Establish and foster relationships with M/W/DBE organizations, small business organizations and other public agencies and represent NYCEDC at M/W/DBE related events
The Project Manager will be required to deal with ad hoc tasks that often arise.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 1- 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Excellent organizational and time management skills are mandatory as the job entails a lot of prioritization, follow-up and effective management of effort
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, together with experience managing and interpreting data is highly desired
- Good communication and presentation skills including the ability to express the merits of the program, both verbally and in writing, to both internal and external parties
- Good relationship management skills
- Ability to be an advocate for the program while maintaining a productive working relationship with internal colleagues who are essential to the program’s success
- Ability to work collaboratively with people from diverse backgrounds, both in terms of ethnicity but also in terms of level of education, profession, etc.
- Ability to work and function as part of a cross functional team
- NYC residency required within 180 days of hire.
- Knowledge in any of these topic areas is a plus but not required: small business, construction, procurement, NYC government
- Belief in government’s responsibility to promote social and economic justice
New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401 (a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, and discounted gym memberships and movie tickets