Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Your Role: Reporting to the Controller, the Deputy Controller will oversee the completion of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements for NYCEDC and its multiple affiliated entities. This position will maintain key reporting systems and supervise a team of experienced staff. The Deputy Controller will also be in charge of coordinating efforts in responding to, and facilitating various audit related requests, and assisting the Treasurer and Controller in cash management activities. In addition to these specific functions, the Deputy Controller will support the Controller across all the departmental pillars within the Accounting department.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees all aspects of periodic financial statement reporting and related systems
- Supervises, supports and facilitates the work of the financial reporting team
- Presents financial reports and analysis to senior management and other stakeholders
- Ensures the maintenance and upkeep of key reporting systems
- Reviews and signs-off on journal entries and account analyses
- Monitors the closing processes and the preparation of all financial reports
- Coordinates and manages all internal and external audit requests
- Reviews audit related schedules and analyses
- Coordinates the preparation of audit lead schedules; collects and organizes analyses
- Oversees the cash management staff and related functions including investing activities
- Approves the release of cash disbursements pursuant to properly executed payment requests
- Handles special projects as required
- Provides support to the Controller on other accounting functions within the Department
- Motivates team members and monitors performance; provides coaching and feedback on an ongoing basis
- Creates a culture within the group that requires/supports professional development and career growth
- Fosters an open environment within the group that is conducive to high employee engagement and satisfaction
- Ensures that strong work relationships and collaboration exists among the Finance Division, project and program staff throughout the organizations to facilitate the submission of key documentation needed for analysis and reporting
- Provides system administration support
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- 5 or more years of experience in Accounting
- License as a certified public accountant. Candidates on the path to certification may be considered.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the standards and practices governing the Accounting profession, primarily in the area of financial accounting and the governmental reporting requirements of GASB
- Strong understanding of the provisions covered in the Statements of Auditing Standards sufficient to meet the objectives and requirements of City, State and Federal auditors
- Ability to perform all duties in a professional and conscientious manner, giving attention to details.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task and team oriented
- Experience managing staff
- Observes the ethical and confidential attributes commensurate to the profession.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
- Other professional credentials such as a certified management accountant is a plus
- A good understanding of the organization's various types of business activities sufficient to supervise its accounting and reporting processes and requirements
- Possesses the critical technical and managerial skills to direct processes and guide subordinates and others throughout the organization
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.