Ferry Fleet & Facility Manager, NYC Ferry
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and equitable economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Position Overview: As the Ferry Fleet & Facility Manager, you will oversee the management of 42 vessels owned by the City in connection with NYC Ferry and the construction coordination and maintenance of major ferry facilities including homeports.
You will ensure that vessels, all of which are under the chartered control of private entities, are maintained to the City’s standards for safety, performance, longevity, and customer experience. You will represent the ferry department interests for capital construction on major facilities like homeport/vessel maintenance facilities. Finally, you will coordinate and advise on the NYC Ferry landing maintenance program to be performed by NYCEDC’s Asset Management team. In this role, you will serve as NYCEDC’s subject matter expert for marine engineering, naval architecture, USCG regulations, and marine repairs. You will report to the Executive Director for the NYC Ferry department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight and management of all vessel repairs, and capital overhauls, including audit of the Operator’s relevant records and ensuring compliance with vessel-related agreements.
- Manage, monitor, and audit the fleet’s fuel consumption, and support the Corporation’s fuel price risk mitigation efforts.
- Work with the Operator to manage and negotiate all contracts and documentation associated with vessels within the fleet and any supplemental vessels as necessary, including insurance, necessary regulatory approvals, and any charter agreements necessary to either bring on additional capacity or let out City-owned assets.
- Manage third-party consultants to support fleet management, including support in naval architecture, engineering, owner’s representation, and others marine-related subject areas.
Ferry Landing and Homeport Facilities
- Act as primary liaison with other NYCEDC departments (Asset Management Design & Construction, Capital Projects) that carry out construction of major ferry facilities such as homeports.
- Review technical condition and inspection reports provided by third parties to assist in programming proactive and responsive maintenance for facilities.
- Advise on the long-term maintenance strategy for landing assets in coordination with Asset Management Property Operations and Design & Construction departments.
Long Term Planning
- Maintain a working knowledge of the passenger ferry vessel market in New York Harbor and beyond, including available assets, charter rates, and sale opportunities.
- Develop long term strategy for minimizing emissions across NYC Ferry, including planning of future vessels and landing infrastructure
- Provide oversight and management of all vessel construction, purchase, repairs, and capital overhauls, including audit of the Operator’s relevant records and any related negotiations with the Operator or third parties.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least five years’ experience in Naval Architecture, Marine Engineering, Vessel Fleet Management, or other relevant technical maritime industry. Master’s degree preferred.
- Technical and subject matter expertise relevant to small passenger vessels, on-board systems, and fixed and floating waterfront infrastructure.
- Experience managing projects, contractors, and third-party owners’ reps for a combination of vessel construction, maritime facility construction and vessel maintenance programs.
- Existing relationships in New York Harbor and the local maritime industry.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills. Experience briefing senior management on complex technical matters.
- Energetic, creative, and detail-oriented project management skill set.
- Ability to perform financial analysis, alternatives analysis and other forms of quantitative decision-making.
- High level of professionalism.
- Have, or have the ability to obtain, a TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Credential, reimbursable by NYCEDC).
- Ability to perform site visits to all NYC Ferry landings and homeports on a regular basis.
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire.
- All new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability.
About Us: New York City Economic Development Corporation is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization that creates shared prosperity across New York City by strengthening neighborhoods and creating good jobs. We work with and for communities to bring emerging industries to NYC, develop spaces and facilities for businesses; empower New Yorkers through training and skill-building; and invest in sustainable projects that make the city a great place to live and work.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.