Assistant Vice President, Monitoring and Evaluation
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Your Role: The EDC’s Economic Research and Analysis team works collaboratively to analyze the impact of major influences on the City’s economy to complement the work of other NYCEDC departments, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, and the Mayor’s Office. Topics range from significant events to private development projects to City infrastructure investments and economic policy decisions. The department also publishes reports on economic conditions and researches economic trends and local industries. Working with EDC’s Economic Research and Analysis team, the Assistant Vice President will lead overall evaluation work to assess, measure and report on project’s ideation and results. The candidate should have experience in evaluation for non-profit and/or government organization. The AVP will also be responsible for ERA publications.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conduct industry research to identify areas of opportunity for EDC’s industry strategies
- Research and document impact evaluation frameworks of economic development tools to support program ideation, and create projections
- Design monitoring and evaluation (M&E) surveys and other data collection tools for various city economic development initiatives
- Analyze M&E data and share outcomes to multiple stakeholders
- Maintain evaluation expertise and build an in-depth understanding of NYC policy
- Coordinate implementation of various evaluation projects, including randomized control trials
- Identify and publish research topics that drive EDC thought leadership on key issues
- Ensure rigorous research and robust data collection in a timely manner
- Manage staff and coordinate work of external stakeholders, cross-departmental and cross-agency teams to execute evaluation projects and ensure project objectives are achieved and timelines are met
- Create and deliver presentations to senior staff that effectively communicate key project findings and recommendations to various audiences (e.g., NYCEDC leadership, City Hall staff, partner agencies, external stakeholders, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree preferred in public policy, statistics, economics or equivalent
- 5+ years of relevant work experience
- Strong quantitative skills; ability and interest to work with large and varied data sets
- Ability to write and communicate effectively about data, adapting approach and style across audiences
- Demonstrated effective management of project deliverables, including team management, and ability to effectively delegate and manage project team capacity
- Excellent project management skills; manages project deliverables effectively; ability to prioritize among competing needs, opportunities and projects; exercise latitude in determining objectives and approaches to assignments
- Excellent organizational skills, and ability to work in teams; demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts of interests and develop productive and trustworthy working relationships with external and internal parties
- Excellent oral & written communication skills, ability to communicate strategically based on needs and in a persuasive manner to produce the desired results
- Strong attention to detail and quality management
- Comfortable interfacing with senior officials and external stakeholders across sectors, and effectively managing the relationships and earning trust
- Experience developing and mentoring junior-level staff preferred
- Intermediate programming skills (such as STATA and R)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Power Point & Excel
- New York City residence is required within 180 days of hire
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.