Intern, Government & Community Relations
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Government & Community Relations team engages with community members, elected officials, and other stakeholders across the five boroughs to share information and build support for NYCEDC’s work. Government & Community Relations works with departments across the organization to:
- Cultivate external relationships and develop public engagement strategies to advance NYCEDC’s projects and initiatives
- Align NYCEDC’s work and priorities with the goals and objectives of the communities we serve
- Communicate with City partners including City Hall, City agencies, elected officials, and other key stakeholders to build support for NYCEDC’s economic development agenda
Your role: NYCEDC is searching for a highly capable individual to work in the Government & Community Relations (GCR) department. Candidates must have experience with research and creating presentations, possess very strong writing skills and have the ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Management of the City, State and Federal legislative database to ensure it reflects the most current status of legislation that could impact NYCEDC projects.
- Assisting with the preparation of presentations, Q&A documents and other materials to be used by the Office of the President in preparation for City Council hearings, mayoral civic association meetings, and other official meetings, as assigned.
- Coordination and staffing of community and small business outreach events.
- Create concise weekly reports for external partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional duties may include assisting with the production of maps that will plot community boards, council districts, and site location of NYCEDC projects, and attending meetings with community stakeholders and elected officials with assigned GCR staff.
- Be a current student pursuing a degree.
- Previous experience with economic development organizations or similar non-profit, government agencies, or experience with elected officials highly desired.
- Creative, independent thinker with an inquisitive mind.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interest in public policy, urban affairs and public affairs.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Functions well within a team framework.
- Ability to reduce complex ideas to their most fundamental concepts.
- Proven ability to compile large amounts of data into a digestible format for varied audiences and constituencies.
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.