Senior Vice President - Initiatives
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
Your Role: You will head NYCEDC’s industry Initiatives Department, responsible for creating and implementing economic development programs, and engage the private sector, government and academic leadership to grow key strategic industries and ensure New York City remains a global leader in innovation.
Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We need you to help us do this.
This is a critical role within the leadership team at NYCEDC to lead a team of ~35 people, provide thought leadership to the organization on industry trends and the impact of accelerated technological change, create initiatives that grow jobs, and deliver tangible impact in NYC. It is a one-of-a-kind opportunity to develop innovative approaches to inclusive economic growth by leveraging the current team and track record and taking it to the next level of impact and influence.
- Promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for our mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose.
- Lead and direct the department with chief responsibility for developing new programmatic initiatives to drive innovation and inclusive growth in priority sectors and maximizing the impact and scale of current programs.
- Provide direction and management to project teams in framing problems and identifying key issues/questions in industry studies.
- Provide direction for development of project work plans, including study scope, timelines, specific analyses to be completed, and individual responsibilities.
- Oversee project teams, and the work of external consultants as needed, as they conduct independent research and expert interviews, data gathering and analysis, and financial modeling
- Provide direction in development of program recommendations, ensuring they are feasible impactful, and coordinated
- Oversee implementation of major programs such as current investments in advanced manufacturing, cybersecurity, health-tech, life sciences, urban tech, fashion or media.
- Oversee the creation of and deliver PowerPoint presentations or memos for key stakeholders (e.g. EDC senior staff, City Hall, external partners).
- Maintain, develop and expand NYCEDC’s relationships with private sector partners, particularly leaders in the tech and business communities, academic institutions and private funding entities. Form strategic collaborations with these partners to develop and drive programmatic initiatives, within NYCEDC and across city government.
- Engage NYCEDC executives, leaders from partner organizations and City Hall on critical outreach and policy advocacy matters.
- Work with the Partnerships team to build and maintain relationships with key C-level stakeholders in the private sector, including organization of roundtables in the context of strategic industry studies and programs and ongoing corporate engagement.
- As needed, serve as spokesperson, representative, and ambassador of the department to a wide variety of constituencies.
- Strategic, creative, innovative, and dynamic leader
- Entrepreneurial and leadership ability, organized and results oriented
- 8+yrs relevant work experience, including managing operations, growing teams, and providing strategic leadership experience in a demanding analytic environment
- Strong track record in converting nascent ideas into effective and impactful programs
- Extensive project management experience including ability to set up the problem, manage projects against tight timelines, and apply a proactive, inclusive, and collaborative style that works well in teams and empowers staff
- Deep understanding of the tech sector and innovations disrupting industries and unlocking new areas of growth
- Able to look at the big picture and search for insightful, creative solutions
- Flexible and adaptable communication style with strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to facilitate constructive debate and effectively negotiate, persuade, and reach consensus
- Able to attract, hire, develop, and retain top talent
- Enjoys managing people and investing in staff, including providing professional development guidance
- Prioritizes effectively among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects at the same time
- Consults and works effectively across a wide range of professions and areas of expertise
- Master’s Degree or equivalent; MBA or similar
- Understanding of the key strategic drivers of private sector partners
- Has developed and sustained networks of senior stakeholders
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development, urban infrastructure, real estate, and/or public policy issues
- Knowledge of New York City, State and Federal government
- Knowledge of issues facing New York City
New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401 (a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, and discounted gym memberships and movie tickets.