Vice President, Sunset Park
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
NYCEDC’s Asset Management Revenue (AMR) Division manages the overall strategy for conventional and non-traditional assets across all five boroughs of New York City. The portfolio includes commercial real estate properties as well as transportation, port assets, critical infrastructure, and energy assets. The Asset Management Revenue division pursues a double-bottom line strategy, targeting not just economic returns but also multiple social metrics including but not limited to job creation and growing equitable neighborhoods. The overall assets are divided into multiple portfolios, each managed by a VP or SVP, with a Portfolio Surveillance group that monitors and enforces standards and practices across the portfolio. The division-wide portfolio encompasses property types including those that are standard in the real estate industry (retail, commercial, industrial), port assets (NYC Ferry, NY Cruise, rail, maritime and aviation) as well as assets particular to the public sector (public retail and wholesale markets, Broadway and non-profit theaters, and affordable industrial and commercial campuses). In fiscal year 2018, the department actively managed over 220 properties and over 65 million square feet at a 95% occupancy rate, generating more than $240 million in revenue.
Your Role: Reporting to the Senior Vice President, the Vice President will focus on implementing a vision and strategy for the equitable development of the Sunset Park waterfront through planning, leasing and management of three industrial properties owned by the City of New York: the Brooklyn Army Terminal, Bush Terminal, and the Brooklyn Wholesale Meat Market. The Vice President will also be responsible for implementing placemaking strategies that advance NYCEDC’s Sunset Park portfolio as hub for innovation, economic opportunity and community vitality while providing stable financial returns to NYCEDC and the City and assisting future development of the Sunset Park waterfront. The Vice President will help enable and enhance the collaborative and cohesive functioning of the AMR Division as a performance and thought leader in asset management approaches amongst double bottom line (DBL) real estate portfolios nation-wide.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, exceptional organizational and administrative skills and a collaborative working style in order to:
- Develop big, visionary ideas for placemaking to enhance the built environment, programming and community within NYCEDC’s Sunset Park portfolio
- Deliver new built and programmatic amenities to support the on-campus workforce, tenant pipeline development, local Sunset Park neighborhood, and other visitors
- Implement industrial asset management strategies to ensure diverse tenant mixes, vibrancy, growth, innovation and opportunity in Sunset Park
- Support integrated marketing and leasing programs across all properties to source new businesses for available space
Other essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead your team in strategy development and project implementation
- Train, manage and oversee junior staff to execute on design projects, tenant improvements, programming, communications (including presentations), project management, asset management and negotiations.
- Evaluate and then execute upon opportunities for investment within the portfolio, planning for RFPs and/or capital projects to modernize, expand or reposition assets.
- Develop and/or participate in special projects with City Hall, including direct interaction with the Deputy Mayor and City Hall staff.
- Direct the preparation of various contracts, requests for proposals (RFPs), and reports according to company and management expectations and guidelines and consults with Senior Management as directed regarding preparation of key correspondence and investment memoranda.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of experience in architecture, urban design, urban planning, real estate development, asset management, management consulting, economic development and/or a related field.
- An independent and strategic thinker with ability to structure and sell a plan
- Energetic, creative, and detail-oriented project management skill set
- Strong interpersonal written, verbal, and analytical skills with an emphasis on strategic and persuasive communication
- Fluency in Microsoft Office
- New York City residency (required within 180 days of hire)
- Master’s Degree in a related field
- Experience with urban design, placemaking projects and/or campus planning
- Experience developing and implementing programming for B2B networking, workforce development/training, community building, and/or industry support
- Experience with Owner’s Representation
- Experience with asset/property management, lease administration and tenant relations
- Experience working with property managers and direct interfacing with tenants
- Experience with negotiation and document drafting
- 2+ years of direct supervisory experience
- New York City Real Estate experience
About Us: NYCEDC is New York City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. Our mission is to create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs. We do this by developing, managing, and implementing expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment and strengthen the city’s competitive position.
NYCEDC is dedicated to the creation of a dynamic, equitable, and sustainable urban economy. We are making sure that whatever happens next, happens right here in New York City—and that all New Yorkers are a part of it.
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our diversity and inclusion mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!