Senior Vice President - Economic Research and Analysis
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
The Economic Research and Analysis Department is responsible for analyzing the economic and fiscal impact of major influences on the City’s economy to complement the work of other NYCEDC departments, the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Economic Development, and the Mayor’s Office. Topics range from significant events such as national political conventions to private development projects to City infrastructure investments and economic policy decisions. The department also publishes monthly reports on economic conditions.
Your Role: The Senior Vice President (SVP) position will report to the Chief Strategy Officer and will be charged with leading NYCEDC’s economic research through leadership, monitoring trends and economic and political developments, forecasting major economic indicators, developing publication products, communicating the results of analyses, and establishing NYCEDC as a thought leader on issues of economic impact. The SVP plays a key strategic and leadership role both internally within NYCEDC, as well as externally with senior-level stakeholders across the private, public, philanthropic and academic sectors—nationally and internationally. By working cross-functionally across the organization with Real Estate, Asset Management, Initiatives, Strategic Investing, Strategy, Partnerships, Policy, Legal, and Marketing teams, the SVP will support decision making and develop new team capabilities and data product offerings. The successful candidate will also be responsible for developing the public profile of NYCEDC’s work and outreach for a broad range of stakeholders.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Strategic vision:
- Collaborate with NYCEDC programs and individuals in helping shape and inform project proposals and project implementation with sound economic thinking
- Drive strategic stakeholder engagement needed to create data-driven policy
- Develop a plan and implementation program for NYCEDC’s work in establishing a center of excellence in economic research, and analysis
- Promote a collaborative, high performing organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission, program excellence, teamwork, and a shared purpose
- Build and strengthen relationships at senior/C-level across wide range of cross-sector industries, academic institutions, think tanks, and philanthropy, including identifying and meeting with leadership and influencers in same
- Direct, motivate and coach staff at all levels
- Rigorous analytics:
- Oversee requests from other NYCEDC departments and City administration to evaluate the impact of economic development policies and projects; ensure issues are properly and independently framed
- Determine appropriate methodology and information source(s) for specific projects
- Supervise the production of economic and fiscal impact estimates
- Provide verbal and written briefings on economic issues to NYCEDC and City senior leadership, with particular emphasis on translating technical/quantitative information for non-technical audiences
- Review and advise on the technical quality of economics research in NYCEDC projects
- Oversee the evaluation of the impact of NYCEDC’s economic development investments and programs, both at the ideation stage and during implementation.
- Supervise NYCEDC’s publications on economic and industry trends.
- Sound management:
- Manage Department budget, staff resource allocation, and associated management tasks
- Provide project management leadership for executing projects
- Monitor and evaluate publication effectiveness and provide recommendations
- Master’s Degree in Economics or related relevant field (required)
- PhD in Economics or related relevant field (preferred)
- 7-10 years of professional economic research experience in national/international organizations or academic institutions, with a proven substantive (research and publication) track record
- Demonstrate a drive to results and accountability, and fosters the same in others
- Proven ability to attract, hire, develop and retain staff members through inspired, fair and respectful management
- Ability to prioritize among competing needs and opportunities and manage concurrent projects
- Experience with modeling economic impacts of policy interventions and real estate projects (preferred)
- Thorough understanding of large datasets including Census and BLS microdata, NYC Open Data Portal, and other ‘big data’ sources, and the ability to analyze data to inform policy and decision making
- Familiarity with Stata, Excel, SAS, Python, and/or R (preferred)
- Ability to think creatively about economic development and local policy
- Strong written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to undertake, oversee and guide research and analyze economic issues
- Experience in working collaboratively, leading negotiations and reaching a consensus among stakeholders
- Effectively brings creative solutions to projects and remove roadblocks
- Demonstrated experience in economic development, urban infrastructure, real estate, and/or public policy issues
- Knowledge of New York City, State and Federal government is a plus
- Knowledge of issues facing New York City is a plus
- New York City Residency is required within 180 days of hire
New York City Economic Development Corporation is the City’s primary vehicle for promoting economic growth in each of the five boroughs. NYCEDC’s mission is to stimulate job growth through expansion and redevelopment programs that encourage investment, generate prosperity and strengthen the City’s competitive position. NYCEDC serves as an advocate to the business community by building relationships with companies that allow them to take advantage of New York City’s many opportunities. Additional information on NYCEDC can be found by visiting http://www.nycedc.com/.
Our Diversity & Inclusion Mission is to attract, retain, and engage a diverse workforce comprised of talented people. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents. NYCEDC employees can expect to work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive workforce where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected and make an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NYCEDC offers excellent benefits, including company-paid 401 (a) pension plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, and discounted gym memberships and movie tickets.