Social Media Specialist (4658)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is recruiting for a part-time (50%) Social Media Specialist. In collaboration with observatory scientific, technical, and media design staff, the candidate will be responsible for communicating scientific and technical concepts to science-attentive public audiences by researching, planning, writing, and curating content for social media channels based on Education and Public Outreach’s (EPO) growing digital asset collection, Observatory needs, and outreach and education initiatives. This position is a support position on the EPO News Team.
In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
- Prepares and develops social media content to support and enhance the Observatory’s core communication needs and support the EPO Communications Plan. Social media content includes short-form, informative, educational, lay language content for a variety of science-attentive public audiences using proper grammar, punctuation, and NRAO style guide requirements to support EPO Team.
- Monitors, posts to, and analyzes social media channels to build a community of followers and enhance interaction. Produces monthly and quarterly reporting on social media key performance indicators.
- Develops and maintains a collaborative editorial calendar.
- Supports the EPO Team by generating social media content and promotion for specific communication initiatives including Image of the Week, press releases and announcements, Virtual Tours, job listings, and more.
- Works with the EPO team to organize, annotate, and catalog the department’s growing library of digital media assets.
- Supports the News Manager and EPO AD to develop and maintain a detailed, long-term, sound social media strategy.
- Attends and contributes to assigned meetings with News Group, Multi-media Group, EPO Division, etc.
- Pro-active compliance with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures in own work area is expected.
- Other duties as assigned.
In addition to technical abilities, this position requires Initiative, and excellent skills in communication, research, organization, social media storytelling, and web content management systems. Demonstrable success in generating and launching a social media strategy. Ability to work as a team member toward the achievement of team goals.
Work is typically performed in a research and development office environment.
Associate's degree in communications, journalism, education, astronomy, physical science, or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience A Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Two years of demonstrable experience in social media outreach and strategy for non-profits, education, or astronomy is required. Solid, demonstrable understanding of strategic foundations and best practices for social media, and a clear grasp of proper English spelling and grammar is required.
Social Media platforms experience required (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube). WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite, Hootsuite, Trello, Meltwater, and digital asset management skills are a plus. Vision acuity (Near, Color, Depth Perception)
The position will be in residence at our NRAO headquarters located in Charlottesville, Virginia, however, a remote work station may be considered for candidates with sufficient experience.
The Observatory requires staff to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 to access our facilities. An offer of employment will be considered contingent until the selected applicant provides proof of vaccination. A selected applicant may request consideration for an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief.
Select the “Apply” button. You will need to be prepared to upload your current resume and a cover letter describing interest and suitability for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to [email protected].
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)