Job Title: Accountant I
Reports to: Senior Accounting Manager
Amount of Travel Required: Less than 10%
Job Status: Regular Full-time; Exempt
Work Schedule: Standard office hours
Location: Vienna, VA.; Telework available
Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI) has an opportunity for an accountant to work in our Vienna, VA location. The successful candidate will be responsible for preparing financial transactions and preparing general ledger reconciliations associated with the month-end close and other financial duties as required. Additionally, this role will support special projects such as balance sheet consolidation and compliance related issues.
AUI provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. After one year of employment, AUI’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
Job responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing journal entries;
- Support monthly financial close activities;
- Preparing monthly account reconciliations for assigned accounts and resolving outstanding items as required;
- Assisting with the management of Government Property and AUI Fixed Assets, including eQuip! and JDE data, NSF reporting, and implementation of policies and procedures.
- Assisting with travel expense voucher review;
- Assisting with accounts payable;
- Assisting with accounts receivables;
- Assisting AUI Incubator Controller with managing AUI Incubator business (planning, project control, and other duties);
- Performing AMEX credit card reconciliation and coordinating AMEX review;
- Assisting in preparation of specialized financial reports, such as month- and year-end schedules as needed by management and auditors;
- Providing support to special projects as needed;
- Providing support in the implementation of financial systems upgrades and updates;
- Performing other duties and participating in special projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Management or related field.
- Minimum 1 year of general accounting experience
- Strong understanding of GAAP
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and general ledger procedures
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to interact with a wide variety of people using diplomacy, tact, and discretion
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to perform successfully in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability to use computer technology to efficiently accomplish work using Microsoft Office programs, email, Internet, and database management software
- Proficiency in Excel is required
Physical Conditions/Nature of Work or Special Requirements:
- This individual will work in a standard office setting.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. We will monitor and review the recruitment process to ensure that all applicants are treated fairly, without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law. There will be no discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of mental or physical disability. Further, we will take affirmative action to employ, advance in employment, and otherwise treat qualified handicapped individuals, qualified disabled veterans, and veterans of the Vietnam Era without discrimination based on their disability or veteran’s status in all employment practices. We will select the best qualified candidate to perform the duties of an available position and will give first consideration to present employees whenever practical. To view our complete statement and additional information, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request to [email protected].