Job Title: Janitor – Green Bank Science Center & Facilities
Location: Green Bank Observatory
State: West Virginia
City: Green Bank
Job Schedule: Temporary Full Time – some weekends required
Department: Green Bank Business Division
Salary Interval: Non-Exempt
Duration: 3 Months
Under minimum supervision, the Janitor will keep all Observatory buildings clean and orderly by performing the following duties:
- Cleans offices, hallways, rest rooms, elevators, stairways, shops and other work areas, including sweeping, scrubbing, waxing, and polishing floors; washes windows, door panels, and sills; empties wastebaskets, and transports trash and waste to disposal area
- Replenishes restroom supplies; may clean rugs, carpets, furniture, and draperies as required; may be required to record data such as property damage, unusual occurrences, and malfunctioning of machinery or equipment to supervisory staff
- Performs grounds keeping duties such as litter control, sweeping sidewalks, trash collection, and vehicle refueling as assigned
- May be required to secure gates, sound alarms or call police or fire department by telephone in case of fire or presence of unauthorized persons
- Permits authorized persons to enter property; must be able to communicate warnings safely; may also ensure security of all buildings and grounds by patrolling the site for safety and security
- Reporting any unusual or suspicious activities on the site to supervisory staff
- Examining doors and windows to determine that they are secure; may watch for and report irregularities such as fire hazards, leaking water pipes, and security doors left unlocked
- Works as part of Maintenance or Engineering & Services team and assists any or all other areas, as needed
- Other duties may be assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum Education: High School Diploma or GED required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum Experience: One to three months related experience and/or training.
COMPENTENCIES: Must be able to operate a vehicle, a valid driver's license is required. Proactive compliance with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures in own work area is expected.
PHYSICAL CONDITIONS, NATURE OF THE WORK: While performing the duties of this job, the employee works both inside and outside and occasionally works at heights above 5 feet. The employee must be able to carry equipment and tools, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and operate a variety of tools and equipment; must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds; must be able to operate a vehicle to travel to on-site work areas; and must be able to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities include the ability to read labels and determine the identity and use of a variety of chemicals, cleaners, and solvents. The employee has some exposure to fumes from cleaners.
The selected candidate must successfully pass a post-offer, pre-employment/pre-placement drug screen. Failure to pass the Screen will disqualify the candidate from employment consideration for a period of six months from the date of the results.
Apply online at the Associated Universities Inc. / NRAO / GBO Careers page; upload CV/Resume and letter of interest.
AUI is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)