Tour Guide (4472)
The Education and Public Outreach (EPO) Division of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory is happy to announce a new opportunity for a part-time Tour Guide at the Very Large Array (VLA), 50 miles west of Socorro. The Tour Guide will be responsible for communicating the Observatory's mission to the public and will provide assistance in creating, organizing and conducting astronomy/science awareness programs for visitors to the Observatory.
Job Duties Summary
The essential duties and responsibilities will included:
- Conducting guided tours at the Very Large Array, including auditorium presentations, to both the general public and to private groups during 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month
- Assisting with requested guided tours, which include school field trips and motor coach tours.
- Greeting guests
- Performing and presenting science demonstrations for visitors to the Visitor Center
- Monitoring and performing basic troubleshooting of exhibits
- Docent duties to include delivering informal programs to the public and youth groups
- Proactive compliance with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures in own work area is expected
- Other duties may include gift shop support and other duties as assigned.
The NRAO is a Public facility. Tour Guides will work in both an office environment and outdoors. Physical demands include frequent standing, walking and occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds. Must be available to work nights, weekends, varying days and holidays as needed. Tour Guides may be required to work rotating shifts.
High school diploma or GED
Associate’s degree with studies emphasizing science or science education or equivalent preferred
Minimum of six months of related experience
Prior experience working with the public or in a public speaking role preferred
Must have a pleasant disposition, a professional presentation appearance and excellent communication skills. Strong understanding of scientific principles.
A valid driver’s license is required by start date of employment and must be maintained.
Select the “Apply” button below. Please be will need to be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National Science Foundation operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc.