Administrative Assistant I (4404)
Then National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces an opportunity for an Administrative Assistant I to join our Business Services Division. In general, the Administrative Assistant I will collect, prepare or review confidential information, correspondence, reports, and presentations; may be responsible for management and reconciliation of department credit cards. The Business Services Administrative Assistant is key to the direct support of the Business Manager for Socorro Operations in the successful management of a variety of services provided to locally based and visiting staff as well as other official visitors. This position is expected to handle most business services in the absence of the division head. This Administrative Assistant may provide work direction to staff in the division or contractors associated to the division.
The position is based at the Science Operations Center in Socorro, NM on the campus of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (www.nmt.edu). Socorro is a small, historical town in the Rio Grande Valley, 75 miles south of Albuquerque. In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
The Administrative Assistant I performs a variety of financial and administrative tasks including but not exclusive of:
- Acting as the department contact for internal and external clients; efficiently handles inquiries with minimal supervision in a professional and timely manner;
- May attend meetings to prepare and disseminate detailed minutes;
- Compose and proofreads communications, e.g. business letters, emails, and reports;
- Entering purchase requisitions for the Business Services Division, gathering supporting documents;
- Account coding invoices in preparation of payment;
- Invoicing for services or materials;
- Coordinating maintenance of leased facilities;
- Liaison with NMT repair workers and custodians;
- Assisting with building security and key control tasks;
- Coordinating office assignments/moves for staff/visitors and office phone assignments and maintenance orders;
- Perform local organization chart updates;
- Assist with various meeting preparation;
- Schedules colloquium and other catering orders;
- Coordinate transportation needs during large workshops;
- Works with executive assistants to handle requests between senior and executive management;
- Assists with special projects as needed;
- Fill in at the reception desk as needed.
The Administrative Assistant will work independently with little supervision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically sits at a desk, uses a personal computer, telephone, photocopier, facsimile, and other standard office equipment. The employee may occasionally be required to work outside around construction equipment. The employee may occasionally drive a vehicle, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee frequently is required to communicate in person, by electronic mail, and by telephone. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus
Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in administration, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A minimum of two years of experience in an administrative capacity with increasingly responsible duties.
Must hold and maintain a valid New Mexico Driver’s License.
- Good personal computer literacy and competence, Office software tools (MS Office tools);
- Good oral competency, ability to work well and in a professional manner with a wide variety of employees (service workers, administrative staff, engineers, technicians, managers, scientists), NMT staff, and official visitors;
- Must be well organized, must perform routine daily, weekly, monthly tasks on time and with reliability. Work at a high level of accuracy with very good attention to detail;
- Proficient in MicroSoft Office suite with demonstrated efficiency in Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Word; Adobe, SharePoint, web-based applications
- Position requires a professionalism in judgement, confidentiality and initiative with internal and external clients;
- Must be able to work independently and anticipate the needs of the department or division and take appropriate steps to respond;
- Familiarity with accounting software (e.g., JDE) experience is preferred;
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment, and administrative techniques;
- Thorough knowledge of business English, spelling, and mathematics; and the ability to make difficult mathematical calculations and to set up complex forms and statistical tables;
- Ability to learn to read and comprehend complex and specialized vocabulary;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public;
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction;
- Ability to organize and perform work independently in the absence of specific instructions;
- Thorough understanding of Division functions and Observatory policies;
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures, and to make decisions in accordance with regulations and established policies.
Select the “Apply” button below. Please be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National Science Foundation operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc.