Software Engineer II-IV (4397)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces an opportunity for a full-time Software Engineer for the New Mexico Systems (NMS) group, which is part of the Data Management and Software (DMS) Department. The Software Engineer will maintain and develop components of the online systems and will be primarily responsible for maintaining and improving the Executor, a critical component for the online system for Very Large Array (VLA) and Very Long Baseline Array (VLBA) radio astronomy telescopes.
The position is based at the Science Operations Center in Socorro, NM on the campus of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (www.nmt.edu). Socorro is a small, historical town in the Rio Grande Valley, 75 miles south of Albuquerque. In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
Responsibilities are anticipated to evolve and expand and will initially include, but are not limited to:
- Support & maintain the VLA and VLBA Executor;
- Add new features as needed for the VLA and VLBA Executor;
- Potentially support & maintain the Correlator Back End (CBE);
- Ensure critical documentation is delivered;
- Work with the Testing and Commissioning Team to ensure the functionalities are working.
Work is typically performed in a research or development environment; the Software Engineer works both independently and as part of a diverse team. There may be occasion in which work is performed at high altitudes. Occasional travel will be required.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
An advanced degree is highly desired. Scientific degree or background in astronomy is also desirable.
One year of relevant experience in the software engineering field.
While the focus of this position is technical, project management experience would be a valuable addition. Please note that salary and position level will be determined based on the candidate’s qualifications.
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering concepts, practices and procedures;
- Excellent knowledge of Java and/or C++;
- Good knowledge of C, Python, Jython and shell scripting;
- Good knowledge of Object oriented programming and frameworks;
- Good grasp of real time programming concepts and constraints;
- Good math or physics background;
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to learn new areas and apply learning;
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities;
- Familiarity with MPI is a plus;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
Select the “Apply” button below. Please be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory is a facility of the National Science Foundation operated under cooperative agreement by Associated Universities, Inc.