Auto Diesel Mechanic (4632)
Under minimum supervision, maintains automobiles, buses, trucks, and hy-rail vehicles in good operating condition. Must possess skills and experience comparable to professional certification in diesel heavy equipment repair and maintenance.
The position is based at the VLA, 50 miles west of Socorro, New Mexico. In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
- Examines vehicles to determine extent of damage or malfunction, using computer diagnostic equipment.
- Plans work procedure.
- Raises vehicle with hydraulic jack or hoist, when required.
- Removes unit such as engine, transmission, or differential.
- Disassembles unit and inspects parts for wear or malfunction.
- Repairs or replaces parts such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, bearings, etc.
- Overhauls or replaces parts such as carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, pumps, etc.
- Rebuilds parts such as crankshafts, cylinder blocks, etc.
- Rewires ignition system, lights, and instrument panel.
- Relines and adjusts brakes, aligns front end, repairs or replaces shock absorbers, and solders leaks in radiator, etc.
- Mends damaged body and/or fenders by hammering out or filling in dents and welding broken parts.
- Paints repaired areas.
- Replaces and adjusts headlights.
- Installs and repairs accessories such as heaters, mirrors, windshield wipers, etc.
- May be required to secure pricing information from a variety of sources, including soliciting bids from vendors.
- Records all repairs and maintenance for future reference, maintains PC database as required.
- Operates all equipment repaired in Shop, including heavy equipment.
- Designs, builds, and modifies a variety of equipment for special usage.
- Proactive compliance with NRAO and legal safety policies and procedures in own work area is expected.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Must be able to weld. Must be able to read repair and maintenance manuals. Must possess and maintain a valid NM Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with no transmission restrictions; Class B (Class A preferred) minimum with passenger bus endorsement required, or must obtain CDL within six months of hire date. The ability to communicate clearly and precisely, both verbally and in writing is necessary.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in a shop area, and works outdoors. The employee works with heavy equipment and machinery, as well as power tools, and may be required to lift up to 50 pounds, unassisted. The employee must be able to climb over and crawl under equipment. Specific vision abilities include close vision, color and depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee is required to drive and/or operate a wide range of types of vehicle. The work site is typically noisy.
Two years of education or formal training in the auto diesel technical field. Diesel Mechanic Certificate from a technical school or Master of Automobile Technician Certificate by the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).
Two years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Six years of experience in auto diesel equipment or equivalent combination of education and experience. Hydraulic experience strongly preferred. Ability to use diagnostic test equipment preferred.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by September 1, 2021 to be considered for U.S.-based vacancies.
The selected candidate must successfully pass a post-offer, pre-employment/pre-placement drug screen. Failure to pass the Screen will disqualify the candidate from employment consideration for a period of six months from the date of the results.
Click the “Apply” button below. You will need to be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to [email protected].