Civil Engineer IV-Sr, Infrastructure IPT Lead (4652) - UPDATED
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces an opportunity for a full-time Infrastructure Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead. The IPT Lead will have a direct role in the design and construction of the infrastructure supporting the Next Generation Very Large Array (ngVLA), responsible for working with a multi-disciplinary engineering team through the design, construction and qualification of systems needed to complete the array. The ngVLA project is expected to deploy more than 200 radio telescope antennas throughout North America, which recently received a strong endorsement from the National Academy of Sciences’ Astronomy and Astrophysics Decadal Survey (Astro2020).
Reporting the ngVLA Project Manager,the ideal candidate will utilize their management skills to lead the design and construction of the ngVLA antenna array infrastructure, the prototype antenna infrastructure, and associated buildings to support the array. The IPT Lead will collaborate with other IPT Leads and the ngVLA Project Office in order to ensure the team meets project cost, schedule, and technical requirements and milestones.
The position will be based in either Albuquerque, NM or Socorro, NM. The NRAO Domenici Science Operations Center (DSOC) is located in Socorro, NM on the campus of New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology (www.nmt.edu). Socorro is a small, historical city in the Rio Grande Valley, 75 miles south of Albuquerque. The NRAO Albuquerque Office (NAO) is located in the Science and Technology Park at the University of New Mexico (www.unm.edu). Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico with a wide variety of restaurants, entertainment, and cultural events. With over 300 days of sunshine each year, both cities offer ample access to outdoor recreation.
In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective the first day of employment. NRAO’s retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participant’s base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
Duties of the Infrastructure Integrated Product Team Lead:
- Responsible for technical management, planning, coordination, and communication of the engineering team responsible for delivering buildings, roads, antenna foundations, utilities, and other related infrastructure.
- Oversees requirements development; design, integration and validation of infrastructure work products in collaboration with the Project Office and Engineering team leads.
- Works with the Senior Cost Estimator and Project Scheduler to develop cost estimates and build and maintain the project schedules to reflect infrastructure scope.
- Prepares bid packages, manages awards to subcontractors and manage the work to deliver design studies and/or site work to establish ngVLA infrastructure as per IMS deliverables, consistent with the ngVLA System Engineering Management Plan.
- Makes informed decisions and determinations in the design, procurement, manufacture, and testing of deliverable products.
- Manages the team’s work against the established budget and schedule baselines.
- Responsible for recruitment and training of team members.
- Carries out technical supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Observatory’s policies.
- Proactively complies with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned, relevant to the scope of this role.
Work is typically performed in a research or development environment; will be required to stand and sit, and perform fine hand manipulation. Must work near moving mechanical parts and/or with electrical equipment. Occasionally required to climb or balance, and stoop, kneel, and crouch. May occasionally work at high altitudes, and in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions, and may be exposed to chemicals, or the risk of electrical shock. Some travel may be required to other NRAO sites.
BS Civil Engineering or related field
Advanced degree in Civil Engineering or related field
Five years of experience in a combination of the following areas:
- Leading multi-disciplinary engineering teams through design, development and construction/installation
- Project leadership and management
- Developing and presenting technical briefings
- Basic familiarity with civil engineering and site infrastructure design to satisfy performance requirements of related electrical, mechanical, building, operations, and antenna subsystems.
Ten or more years of experience in the “Minimum Experience” items plus experience in the following areas:
- Experience with requirements, issue tracking and configuration management tools
- Experience with project management and scheduling tools
An excellent understanding of civil engineering is required. Excellent presentation, oral and written skills is required to facilitate effective and efficient communication with colleagues. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office programs and engineering management software tools. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Familiarity is needed with computer-assisted engineering and design software and equipment in designing equipment, components, systems or structures for very large equipment and related systems. Experience is needed in construction processes and quality management.
The Observatory requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to access our facilities. An offer of employment will be considered contingent until the selected applicant provides proof of vaccination. A selected applicant may request consideration for an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief.
Click the “Apply” button below. You will need to be prepared to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs. If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to [email protected]. PM20
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)