Education and Public Outreach Programs and AUI Labs Office
Education and Public Outreach Programs and AUI Labs Office
Associated Universities, Inc. (AUI) is pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for an Administrative Specialist to provide a variety of functions within the Education and Public Engagement (EPE) Programs and AUI Labs Office, such as answering calls, organizing mail, assist with bookkeeping and directing visitors. Manages and coordinates calendars, meetings, travel, and onsite visits. Collects, prepares, or reviews confidential information, correspondence, reports, and presentations. Acting as a representative of Education and Public Engagement (EPE) Programs and AUI Labs Office, the position requires a high level of professionalism, judgment, confidentiality, a positive attitude, attention to detail and initiative with internal and external clients. Must be organized and have strong verbal and written communication skills. With minimal supervision, must be able to work independently and anticipate the needs of the Education and Public Engagement Programs and AUI Labs Office and take appropriate steps to respond. The role also requires a passion for STEM, cultural diversity, and championing equity and accessibility.
Job Duties Summary
Key responsibilities and duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Acts as the Education and Public Engagement (EPE) Programs and AUI Labs Office contact for internal and external clients; efficiently handles inquiries with minimal supervision in a professional and timely manner.
- Manages the completion of paperwork and follow-up as it relates to the Education and Public Outreach and AUI Labs Offices.
- Assist with STEM-related procurement activities on request.
- Manages calendar(s) for a supervisor or manager within a department or division.
- Coordinates registrations and travel logistics for a manager and/or staff, sometimes assisting non-AUI travelers with arrangements; prepares and submits travel authorizations and travel reimbursement requests.
- Coordinates and assists with meeting and events logistics, both onsite and offsite, by scheduling appropriate meeting times, booking rooms, organizing catering, arranging to ship supplies, and setting up virtual communications, when necessary.
- Support and lead where necessary, the creation and management of Education and Public Engagement and AUI Labs related outreach and promotional materials.
- May attend meetings to prepare and disseminate detailed minutes in addition to workshops and conferences as needed
- Organize conference room scheduling, equipment, and cleaning.
- Work with office vendors — schedule maintenance and order replenishment supplies for business machines and maintains stock lists
- Manages the reception area and shared work areas and looks after visitors.
- Compose and proofreads communications, e.g., business letters, emails, and reports.
- Manages outgoing post and records data on special deliveries.
- Enters purchase requisitions, gathering supporting documents and monitors purchase orders.
- May take care of website functions and social media profiles
- Works with both the administrative support team and executive assistants to handle requests between departments, senior and executive management
- May fill in for other administrative support staff, limited basis which includes, but is not limited to answering phone calls and transferring when necessary and assisting with special projects as needed.
- Maybe require to provide multi-site support, which may include limited travel.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Conditions/Nature of Work:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically sits at a desk, uses a personal computer, telephone, photocopier, facsimile, and other standard office equipment. The employee may occasionally be required to work outside around construction equipment. The employee may occasionally drive a vehicle, lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. The employee frequently is required to communicate in person, by electronic mail, and by telephone. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Associate degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school in administration, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A minimum of two years of experience in an administrative capacity with increasingly responsible duties. Working knowledge of research administration practices, and experience in high-level administrative support from a variety of funding sources, ideally in the academics/STEM area.
Computer Skills: Proficient in Microsoft Office suite with demonstrated efficiency in Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Word; Adobe, SharePoint, web-based and cloud-based applications, and accounting software (e.g., JDE, Deltek) experience is preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment, and administrative techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of business English and spelling
- Thorough knowledge of personal computers, including word processing and spreadsheet software and the Internet.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public; ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction;
- Ability to organize and perform work independently in the absence of specific instructions.
- Tracking Budget Expenses, Staffing, Quality Management, Managing Processes, Organization, Coaching, Communication Processes, Motivating Others, Promoting Process Improvement, Reporting Skills.
- Knowledge of personal computers and software, including spreadsheets, word processing and accounting systems.
- An exemplary work ethic: Integrity; Sense of responsibility; Sense of teamwork; Sense of Service; Self-discipline; Good planning skills; Flexibility; Confidentiality; Courteous.
- Common sense, good judgment and dependability.
- Initiative, with strong problem-solving skills, and an enthusiasm to grow his/her own knowledge through internal and external sources.
- Ability to work accurately, without close supervision, to meet deadlines, despite interruptions, and an ability to work extra hours, if needed.
- Excellent communication, organization and customer service skills.
- Highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of Spanish would be very useful.
- Some travel may be required.