Vocational Training Specialist
As a Vocational Training Specialist, your role will be embedded in Northwest Center's Job Development team and will be responsible for performing time-limited, job skills training and evaluations at community-based volunteer sites for adults with developmental and intellectual disabilities. Your objective will be to address barriers and to work and improve marketable job skills toward work readiness. Clients who have barriers identified by a Community Based Assessment will be referred to you as our Vocational Training Specialist, who is responsible for generating and documenting individual’s skill building goals and tracking progress over a training period of up to one year.
Location: Seattle, WA (King County)
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:30pm (w/occasional hours outside of this schedule as needed)
Wage: $18.00 - $22.00 per hour DOE + EXCELLENT BENEFITS
- One (1) years of experience working with people with disabilities, education, and/or business relations
- Associates Degree Human Services field preferred. A combination of other education and/or previous experience is acceptable
- Knowledge in the utilization of public and private funding programs to assist clients preferred
Who You Are:
- Passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Thirsty for knowledge and new ideas - a creative mind
- Humble and eager to lend a helping hand
Who We Are:
Northwest Center was founded in 1965 by parents who refused to institutionalize their children with developmental disabilities or accept the prevailing notion that their children couldn't be taught. Our founders authored and won approval of civil rights legislation that opened the doors of Washington State schools to children with disabilities. Banding together to form Northwest Center, they hired their own teachers to develop education programs targeted to special needs children. From birth through retirement, Northwest Center serves people with disabilities in a multitude of ways.
We are a leader in advancing equal opportunities for children and adults with developmental disabilities. Our services for children provide early intervention, inclusive early childhood education, and after school programs. We work with children of all abilities!
- Support a caseload of 8-12 training clients
- Work with client, support staff and Employment Consultant to develop skill building goals to train and enhance client’s marketable job skills
- Update and track an individual’s skill building and training monthly
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with community volunteer sites by maintaining regular and professional communication and following-up on any questions or concerns raised in a timely manner
- Develop a broad range of community volunteer sites offering a variety of tasks
- Maintain contact information with volunteer sited including but not limited to: name of basic contact info (name, address, phone, owner/manager/POC, etc), job tasks available in work site, nature of most recent contact and favorability rating or descriptor as defined by management
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with all members of assigned client’s Support Network which includes, but is not limited to: Parents/Advocates/Guardians, Residential Providers, Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) Counselors, Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) Case Managers, and any other person or entity identified by the client, by providing status updates and following-up on any questions or concerns raised by a member of the Support Network as required by contract or as directed by the client
- Interact with Job development team to inform of individuals readiness to re-enter job development and set job targets
- Complete all documentation as directed in a timely and professional manner
- Clearly describe supports needed or provided in the course of task training
- Define work-sites that provide a range of expectations for the client; define at least one work-site that provides tasks familiar to the client, or that the client has clearly defined as preferred
- Learn tasks for each work-site in order to properly train skills to the client
- Define safety parameters for each site used for assessment and train client in proper safety methods as needed
- Develop and maintain client profile
- Additional tasks, duties as assigned
At Northwest Center, we do not just accept diversity and inclusion - we celebrate it, we support it, we live it and we flourish in it for the benefit of our employees, the community, and our clientele. It is our belief that our strength lies within our diversity and the forward motion towards a day when people of all abilities can learn and work together. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.