The Noble Network of Charter Schools
System Engineer - IT Team
The System Engineer is the primary level of support for our networking infrastructure in the Noble Network Support Team Technology Department. Staff in the Technology Department have a singular goal: to provide teachers and students with optimal learning conditions in all things technology on a daily basis.
Under supervision of the Assistant Director of Information Technology, the System Engineer is responsible for guiding and maintaining daily network support services for faculty, staff and students across the Noble Network of Charter Schools. The System Engineer oversees the network infrastructure at each Noble campuses and also contributes to problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-‐on support to Noble employees. This includes the coordination of network outages, upgrades, and infrastructure enhancements as well as the mentoring of Noble’s technical support team.
The System Engineer will also be responsible networking infrastructure planning, budgeting, and implementing a wide range of technology projects that will vary from network upgrades to hardware and software deployments. This work also includes the development of automated processes that will aid in minimizing technology down time and a reduction in man-hours.
The System Engineer must have relevant experience supporting a complex technical environment consisting of Windows PCs, Macs, A/V equipment, MS Office, Google Apps for Education, MS Exchange, email and Internet content filters. In conjunction the Network Operations Manager must also extensive knowledge of networking protocols, OSI Model, network integration strategies, vSphere, Active Directory, PowerShell scripting, Cisco OS, Cisco switches, Alcatel switches, Cisco routers, VPN’s and firewall hardware.
The System Engineer must have the ability to reach (and sometimes work from) any of the eighteen Noble campuses efficiently and without reservation. The campuses are located throughout Chicago and can all be reached easily by car. For this reason, transportation is a must. Please visit our website to see the location of our campuses.
Finally, the System Engineer will be responding to technical issues that occur outside of normal business hours and also for staffing occasional weekend and evening projects. This is an essential part of this team leadership role.
Other responsibilities include:
- Deliver “A+” networking and technical support to all Noble campuses, including Noble’s technical support team.
- Provide courteous, professional, skillful, and expeditious resolution of technical issues through personal/hands-on/remote efforts as well as through the coordination of Noble’s technical support team.
- Ensure and effectively oversee the daily networking infrastructure, intrusion prevention, firewall monitoring, backups and virus/spam protection.
- Participate in planning and development of network infrastructure for short-term/long- term goals.
- Train the Noble technology campus managers on basic to moderate networking and automated processes so they can effectively maintain a high standard of ownership for their campus.
- Maintain real time documentation of all Access Control changes to switches, routers, firewalls, ISPs, Webhosting and vendor contracts pertaining to software licensing.
- Communicate effectively externally and internally with customers and stakeholders to assess support needs, respond to customer service concerns and assist in the identification of technology needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Industrial Studies, Engineering, or related area required.
- A Cisco Certified CCNA Certification license with active experience will be highly considered.
- 3 - 5 years of extensive, relevant, and practical networking support experience.
- A subject matter expert on wireless integration, virtualization, security, server and group policy administration in an enterprise environment.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. A comprehensive compensation plan will include a bonus incentive and a competitive benefits package.
The Noble Network of Charter Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, handicap, age, religion, sexual orientation, or national or ethnic origin.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.