The Noble Network of Charter Schools
Chief Financial Officer
Founded in 1999, The Noble Network of Charter Schools serves over 12,000 students across 18 campuses in Chicago. Noble has been recognized for excellence nationally, winning the 2015 Broad Prize for the best charter school system in the country. Noble operates the highest-performing open-enrollment high schools in Chicago, sends more than 90% of its graduates to college each year, and has over 10,000 alumni in colleges and careers across the nation. We believe by preparing our students for success in college and in life, we can have a dramatic impact on public education broadly and brighten the future for our city and nation.
We are seeking a Chief Financial Officer to manage the financial strategy, systems and staff that support the sustainable operation of our network, drive results, and support the achievement of our mission. The CFO serves on the senior leadership team at Noble, works internally and externally to ensure that Noble is organizationally and financially strong, and ensures we achieve excellent results in providing a high-quality education to thousands of Chicago families.
The role combines strategic organizational planning with tactical leadership of all financial, accounting, and treasury functions, including capital management, financial analysis and reporting, cash management, capital planning, accounting, budgeting, and compliance. As a member of the Noble Network Support Team, the CFO will continue to implement and improve systems that support excellent financial planning and align with our values; maintain the network’s financial stability; and provide quality, seamless service to campus and network staff.
- Participate in strategic planning around resource allocation and organizational direction
- Provide leadership for staff, emphasizing a culture of excellent service across the organization
- Lead the annual budget process and produce regular financial analyses for every level of the organization
- Coordinate all budget and financial transactions in conjunction with the Board of Directors
- Manage capital market relationships and secure bond and other debt financing
- Manage the investment portfolio through the Noble Network Education Foundation
- Represent the organization with key external partners, such as donors and Chicago Public Schools
- Provide required financial reporting for city, state, federal requirements, compliance, and grants
- Ensure a clean financial audit
- Manage and maintain insurance, including banking, property, and casualty insurance
- Develop and monitor grant budgets and recommend fundraising goals based on overall budget
- Advise on risk management and crisis planning
- Strong financial management, accounting, and budgeting experience with a track record of driving results
- Executive-level leadership and strategic planning experience
- Experience with bond and other debt financing preferred
- MBA, CPA, or advanced degree preferred
- Nonprofit experience preferred
Ideal Candidate Traits
- Unwavering commitment to Noble's mission of preparing students for college success
- Strong analytical and strategic thinker who is able to solve problems
- Comfortable working in fast-paced, entrepreneurial, high-autonomy environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of leaders and stakeholders
- Strong leadership skills and a demonstrated ability to manage teams
- Knowledge of public education and charter schools preferred, but not required
- Excellent communication skills, including ability to communicate complicated financial information in a simple, accessible manner
- Sense of humor
Noble provides competitive salaries depending on candidate qualifications. We also provide health, dental, life and disability insurance, 401k contributions or access to the Chicago Teachers Pension Fund, and paid time off.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
The Noble Network of Charter Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer.