The Noble Network of Charter Schools
Positions available at Gary Comer College Prep for Junior College Seminar and Mansueto High School
Be Noble. Be a College Counselor at Noble.
Noble is Chicago’s highest-performing and largest network of public charter high schools. Our 18 schools and 1,300 employees currently serve over 12,300 students, 98% of whom are minority, 89% low-income, and 83% first-generation college goers. The School Quality and Rating Policy scores for the Chicago Public Schools rated Noble campuses as ten of the top fifteen public high schools in the city. We believe our people are the most valuable asset in preparing our students to be successful in college and lead exemplary lives. For that reason, we are looking for the best talent in education.
Who We’re Seeking
Teaching at Noble is ideal for instructors motivated by the certainty that all of their students can and will succeed, eager for the autonomy to design the vision and content of their classrooms, and rooted in the desire to continuously improve their instruction through data. We are looking for mission-aligned College Counselors for the 2019-2020 academic year who will equip students with the knowledge, skills and exposure necessary to apply to, matriculate to and graduate from college.
Our College Counselors are expected to:
- counsel a caseload of scholars with their college applications, financial aid and decision making process often through one-on-one meetings, including:
- College list building
- Essay review
- Application review
- Timely submission of application support materials (transcripts, letters of recommendation, counselor reports, fee waivers, etc.)
- Financial aid and scholarship application review
- Timely submission of financial aid supporting documents
- Management of multiple deadlines
- Regular parent conferences and contact
- Data analysis of progress towards goals for your caseload
- Co-plan and teach up to 5 periods of College Seminar (a course all seniors take every other day to prepare for and submit college applications, financial aid requirements, and the soft skills necessary to transition to a post-secondary education)
- Support school-wide college events and initiatives, including, but not limited to college admissions rep visits, career events and programming, parent nights, pre-college lessons and program applications, and college visits
- Mentor and teach and advisory (5 mins in the morning, 30-40 minutes in the afternoon), including supporting them to meet annual promotion requirements (academic, discipline, enrichment, community service, fitness, and attendance)
- hold self and all students accountable during class, transitions, and school events,
- utilize data from formative and summative assessments to drive instruction and intervention, and
- exemplify Noble’s Core Values in the work they do.
Above all else, Noble College Counselors must invest our students in the benefits of college matriculation and graduation.
Noble Quality Non-negotiables
- A belief that all students, regardless of background and current ability, can succeed in high school, college, and life
- A belief in executing Noble’s approach to high expectations
- A record of pursuing and achieving ambitious results, particularly in helping low-income and first-generation students achieve significant academic gains
- A regular practice of reflection and desire to continuously improve
- A bachelor’s degree
- Experience directly guiding students, ideally in a college persistence context
- Eligibility to work in the United States on a full-time basis
What Noble has to Offer
A Focus on Learning: You are empowered to design your course in the way you think will best achieve results for students. Our campus leaders minimize disruptions and maximize time focused on student learning. All classes start on time and are never interrupted with announcements, copy rooms are stockpiled with paper, and over 95% of students are in attendance daily.
Robust Student Services: We believe in serving the whole child. For this reason, each of our campuses is equipped with at least one full-time licensed Social Worker and teams of College Counselors. Additionally, our students have access to a variety of enrichment and extended learning options such as night and summer school courses and internship opportunities.
Active Community Involvement: Through parent advisory councils, feedback workshops, advocacy support, college enrollment guidance, quarterly parent-teacher conferences, advisory, and other engagement opportunities we invest in every student and family to build lasting, meaningful relationships.
Accountability and Support: Expectations are consistent for every adult and student in the building, and we welcome the accountability necessary to achieve excellence. We are obsessed with following through on the basics and are committed to supporting, developing, and retaining high-performing educators.
A Range of Benefits:We strive to be the best place to work, and our employee benefits are thoughtfully designed to support us in this ambition. Our robust and ever-evolving set of benefits includes:
- Health & Wellness:
- A predictable salary schedulewith opportunity for performance bonuses
- Competitive health benefits and paid parental leave
- Discounts to Noble Daycare, gym memberships, & bike-share services
- Free financial planning services
- Free 24/7 access to a licensed social worker and 3 in-person counseling services
- Professional Development and Recognition Opportunities:
- Leadership and career development programs including: Diverse Leaders Fellowship, Noble Fellowship, and Management Accelerator
- Distinguished Teacher, a program to recognize and reward excellence in the classroom
- Instructional development series aligned to The Noble Classroomframework, including Foundations and Rigor training
At Noble, we have one mission: to be a catalyst for educational equity in the city of Chicago that empowers students with the scholarship, discipline, and honor necessary to succeed in college and lead exemplary lives. We know that we only fulfill this mission if we are the best place for a diverse mix of driven, reflective, and innovative educators to come, stay, and do their best work nurturing college-ready students. That is why Noble is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, making all employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, training, and promoting without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic or classification protected by law.
Be Noble. Join our Mission today!