The Noble Network of Charter Schools
Chief External Affairs Officer
Noble is seeking an experienced leader to join its executive team as Chief External Affairs Officer to lead a high-performing team toward ambitious philanthropy, advocacy, and communications goals.
Noble is Chicago’s highest-performing and largest network of public charter high schools. Our 18 schools and 1,300 employees currently serve over 12,300 students, 98% of whom are minority, 89% low-income, and 83% first-generation college goers. The School Quality and Rating Policy scores for the Chicago Public Schools rated Noble campuses as ten of the top fifteen public high schools in the city. We believe our people are the most valuable asset in preparing our students to be successful in college and lead exemplary lives.
- Lead successful campaign strategy to generate philanthropy to fund strategic initiatives, ongoing capital investment and current operations
- Meet and exceed a minimum annual fundraising target of $6 million.
- Work with finance and other Noble departments to proactively budget for future projects supported by philanthropy
- Directly solicit major individual gifts including naming gifts, negotiate naming agreements and strengthen a portfolio of major corporate and foundation donors
- Review and approve government and foundation grant applications - including key charter approval processes through CPS such as charter renewal applications and requests for amendments.
- Actively serve as a key steward and liaison for major donors and board members
- Work directly with Noble board members and provide regular board communication
Government & Community Relations and Advocacy
- Set vision, goals and strategy for Noble government, community relations and advocacy efforts
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with CPS district leadership as well as elected officials city, county, state, and federal level
- Align Noble’s legislative priorities with long term organizational strategic plan and monitor current legislation and government regulations
- Work in partnership with community and local partners to build coalition to advance legislative and policy agenda.
- Empower Noble’s students, staff and parent community to advocate for Noble priorities and coordinate advocacy strategy with partner organizations including other charters, advocacy groups and community partners.
- Directly coordinate and participate in hearings and negotiations on behalf of Noble.
Communications, Marketing and Public Relations
- Develop strategy and oversee implementation of Noble external branding, public relations, and related external communication strategy
- Coordinate messaging and communications efforts across Noble departments and campuses as needed
- Represent Noble as public face in key external engagements and media appearances.
- Ensure that Noble’s communication efforts closely support and complement strategic goals and priorities, particularly regarding legislation and fundraising
Ideal Candidate Traits
- A track record of success and proven results in most or all of the following categories:
- Securing significant major gifts of $1MM or more
- Managing successful government relations, community engagement and advocacy campaigns
- Managing communications strategy including moments of rapid response
- Building and leading a high-performing team
- A deep-rooted passion for Noble’s mission and work in Chicago
- A passion for servant-leadership and obsessive customer service to Noble’s campuses
Apply online at www.nobleschools.org. Please be prepared to submit a resume, at least 3 references, and a short cover letter explaining why you would be an ideal fit for this position and Noble. Please direct inquiries about this role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We provide competitive executive-level salaries on par with our non-profit peers. We also provide health, dental, life and disability insurance, 401k retirement contributions, and a mission-driven high-performance culture.
The Noble Network of Charter Schools is an equal opportunity employer.