Responsible for all US State and Local Tax related matters for NICE Systems Inc. and subsidiaries. Manage all aspects of compliance for Sales & Use Tax, Personal Property tax, Business licenses, Census reports, and Income Tax filings. Manage and facilitate both internal and external audits. Review sales tax computations to ensure compliance with State and Local regulations and minimize audit exposure. Work to achieve maximum tax savings whenever possible while remaining responsive to changing business needs and practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Sales and Use Tax – Manage policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state and local requirements related to the billing, collection, and payment of sales and use taxes. Communicate State and Local requirements to members of Management as well as other members of Finance, MIS and Operations teams for the following tasks:
- Oversee the Vertex Tax software and ensure it captures and computes sales tax correctly.
- Monitor and maintain the sales tax calculations and the reporting modules within Oracle and Vertex.
- Oversee the collections of sales tax due from customers and subsequent remittance of the tax to the proper jurisdictions.
- Review the calculation of the minimum use tax due and its subsequent remittance to the proper jurisdictions.
- Timely Responses to all correspondence from state and local organizations related to sales and use tax.
- Administration of all sales/use tax audits allowing the auditing agent to complete their review while minimizing the disruption to current business operations and audit assessments.
- Work with Corporate Controller to manage tax audit reserves in an effort to minimize the incurrence of current period P&L audit expenses related to revenues, expenses, and asset purchases from prior periods.
- Timely Responses to requests for sales & use tax impact of current or proposed customer transactions as well as asset acquisitions, and merchandise production/development.
- Resolution of potential issues through Plan of Action development that utilizes internal resources and/or outside consultants.
- Promote tax savings opportunities for the company
- Monthly general ledger account reconciliation.
- Maintain Sarbanes Oxley documentation and ensure compliance with SOX regulations
Business Licenses and All Other Non-Income Taxes - Develop, implement, and manage policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state and local requirements related to the proper licensing of the company’s locations and sales solicitation efforts.
Corporate Income/Franchise Tax: Prepare quarterly and annual income tax packages to be submitted to Corporate Tax Team. Process quarterly estimated payments as provided by third party accounting firm. Assist with submission of income/franchise tax returns and payments for annual income tax returns prepared by third party accounting firm. Serves as the internal point of contact to facilitate income/franchise tax audits with the help of outside tax consultants as needed.
Mergers and Acquisitions –Review tax issues related to proposed mergers and acquisitions. Assist with identifying areas of exposure to management. Primary resource during post-merger sales and local tax integration.
Projects –Tax Manager will be the primary resource to be drawn upon by internal projects to ensure that sales, use, state income and all non-income tax related issues are addressed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficient knowledge of US sales & use tax and Canadian GST/HST & PST regulations related to the technology industry.
- Experienced Vertex application user including Vertex Sales Tax Returns and Tax Decision Maker.
- Proficient Knowledge of Oracle ERP system, Excel, Word and Outlook
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to oversee and control multiple ongoing projects.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Research skills including an understanding of the hierarchy of authority. Ability to perform research using web based research tools.
Education and Experience:
- BS in Accounting/Finance.
- CPA required.
- 10 years-experience preferred in Corporate tax function.
- Minimum of 5 years management experience preferred.
NICE is committed to provide an environment based on equal opportunity for all qualified applicants and employees. It is the policy of NICE to afford equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals, regardless of age, race, color, creed, religion, citizenship, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, pregnancy, mental or physical disability, marital status, veteran status, service in the Armed Forces, sexual or affectional orientation, atypical hereditary cellular or blood traits, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic or sexual violence, and/or any other status protected by any applicable federal, state and/or local statute or regulation.