Reporter/Producer, New Jersey
WNYC News is hiring a reporter/producer to cover New Jersey.
Every day, we seek to bring fresh, smart and unique content to our various platforms that reflects the diversity and sophistication of our audience and the region at large. From the State House to Newark City Hall to the Jersey Shore, the ideal candidate for this position will be an enthusiastic self-starter with the initiative and imagination to pursue a wide range of stories.
The person will possess the ability to juggle the dual responsibility of producing in-depth feature stories and feeding WNYC’s daily news report across multiple platforms. S/he must be creative, open to experimentation, possess a keen sense of place, focus sharply on audience sensibilities and be dogged in pursuit of the news.
- Pitch and report out original stories for both broadcast and digital platforms
- Produce day-of content for our hourly newscasts
- Monitor the wires, other news outlets and social media for news developments, responding in a manner that keeps WNYC competitive
- Book, research and produce interview segments for WNYC’s local shows
- Produce multimedia content for WNYC’s digital platforms
- Minimum of three years of professional journalism experience; one year of broadcast journalism experience preferred
- Strong broadcast and digital writing skills
- Track record of producing compelling multimedia content
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and pay close attention to detail and fact-checking
- Impeccable journalistic integrity and editorial judgment
- Ability to manage several projects concurrently
- Ability to thrive in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Foreign language skills preferred
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively and/or interact with the public and with other staff at New York Public Radio
- Candidates must possess a valid driver's license and access to a reliable personal vehicle (registered and insured), in order to cover events across New Jersey
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.