Vice President, WNYC Studios
WNYC Studios is looking for a Vice President to oversee the editorial vision, strategy, and operations of a portfolio of podcasts and radio shows, in collaboration with our other Studios Vice President and WNYC’s Chief Content Officer.
About the job:
The Vice President of Studios will join its leadership team to help chart the next era of our growth. They’ll help set overall Studios strategy, set the strategy and direction for some of our ongoing shows, and develop new ones by cultivating ideas, talent, and partnerships.
The Vice President will partner with the Executive Producers of the shows they oversee to refine and execute the editorial vision for each show. They’ll work with EPs and managers across Studios to deepen a culture of collaboration, coaching, and transparency and equity on hiring and promotion, staff development, and staff evaluations. They’ll also be responsible for working with show leaders and NYPR’s audience and revenue leadership to identify opportunities for audience and business growth for their ongoing shows.
The Vice President will also develop new shows by cultivating internal talent and ideas, and working strategically to establish new partnerships that strengthen our work and mission. We’re looking for someone to help lead an ongoing conversation about what kinds of shows we should be making, and which audiences we can and should be serving.
We’re looking for someone who loves this medium, and understands its strengths and weaknesses well enough to help us dream up new approaches and new opportunities. Someone who is bold and encourages us to take creative risks.
This candidate also brings demonstrated experience creating impactful and thoughtful journalism. WNYC Studios is committed to championing ideas and talent that make the world more empathetic, fair, and beautiful.
The ideal candidate will be an ambitious leader and kind colleague who can:
- Articulate an inspiring vision for what our teams can accomplish,
- Coach and develop diverse and collaborative teams with consistent, constructive, and concrete directions and feedback, and
- Think strategically about how to design shows and teams that simultaneously accomplish creative, journalistic, audience, and financial goals.
- Collaborate with revenue teams and audience development teams to develop replicable processes that result in a sustainable portfolio of programs.
Ideally, you have audio journalism experience, but we’ll consider similar work in film, TV, or print that involves collaborative production and / or rich storytelling and conversation.
We want someone who loves this medium, and understands its strengths and weaknesses well enough to help us dream up new approaches and new opportunities.
We’re also looking for someone with:
- An innovative spirit and the proven ability to support and launch new projects or shows, transform and grow existing ones, and develop new ways to serve our audiences,
- A passion for audio and audio storytelling,
- Demonstrated leadership and people management skills, ideally with experience managing journalists, creatives, and multiple cross functional teams and relationships,
- An eye for talent and a passion for mentorship and teaching,
- Managerial experience with, a deep commitment to, and cultural competence leading organizational change around racial and gender equity,
- Strong emotional intelligence that translates into organizational empathy that fosters collaboration and trust within and between teams,
- A deep knowledge of media trends, including audience habits, emerging technologies, and the audio industry’s competitive environment,
- An understanding of and passion for public media’s mission and standards.
- A desire to take the work seriously, but not yourself.
WNYC Studios knows that in order to serve our audiences well, we need to build teams that embrace and are led by people with a diversity of backgrounds and experiences. Our creativity, ambition, and service are limited without the vision and voices of a diverse group at every step of our editorial process. People of all backgrounds, races, genders, and abilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is based in New York City.
WNYC STUDIOS shows combine creative ambition and journalistic excellence. In the fast-expanding audio industry it has helped to define, Studios champions talent and ideas that seek to make the world more empathetic, fair, and beautiful. WNYC Studios is the premier producer of on-demand and broadcast audio, and home to some of the industry’s most critically acclaimed and popular podcasts, including Radiolab, On The Media, Trump, Inc., The New Yorker Radio Hour, Death, Sex & Money, and The United States of Anxiety. WNYC Studios is leading the new golden age in audio with podcasts and national radio programs that inform, inspire, and delight millions of intellectually curious and highly engaged listeners across digital, mobile, and broadcast platforms. Programs include personal narratives, deep journalism, revealing interviews, and smart entertainment as varied and intimate as the human voice itself. For more information, visit wnycstudios.org.