Editor - Health & Science
Editor - Health & Science
The WNYC-Gothamist Newsroom is looking for a multiplatform editor who will shape and lead our coverage of health and science.
Every day, we seek to produce fresh, smart, and essential content that reflects the diversity and sophistication of our audience and the region at large. This role is central to that effort. Immediately, this editor will be charged with overseeing critical coverage of the coronavirus in the pandemic’s U.S. epicenter as well as reopening plans and the eventual distribution of a vaccine. More generally, this editor should also be comfortable overseeing science and environmental coverage, including climate change and how it will impact regional economies and livelihoods.
- Play an active role in shaping daily coverage around health and science issues, with a focus on need-to-know stories and scoops that distinguish our coverage
- Guide both short-term and long-term lines of reporting and assign stories
- Edit content for both audio and text-based digital platforms
- Actively collaborate with other parts of WNYC and NYPR to bring content to various shows, podcasts, and events
- Identify opportunities to amplify content on social media platforms, in newsletters, and other products
- Manage, inspire, and retain a team of highly talented reporters while fostering a culture of inclusion, growth, and journalistic excellence
- Understanding of and appreciation for life in New York City and its surrounding communities
- Well-versed in both audio and text-based digital journalism, possessing a clear understanding of the needs of each platform
- Demonstrated ability to manage reporters on both platforms in a deadline-driven environment
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of diverse communities, including communities of color
- Excellent broadcast and digital writing skills, coupled with proven journalistic integrity and editorial judgment
- Experience covering a range of health and science topics, including the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the business, and delivery of healthcare, scientific innovation, and environmental issues
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to thrive in a change-positive team environment
All positions at NYPR require:
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, using a range of methods
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships at all levels of an organization, and across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational, and social backgrounds
- Affinity for New York Public Radio and WNYC’s mission and content
If you don't meet all the bullet points, but think you'd be a great candidate, apply and tell us why!
The WNYC Newsroom is committed to building a diverse staff. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.