Managing Editor, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for a talented and hands on Managing Editor for The Takeaway.
The Managing Editor will work with the Executive Producer, the program’s hosts and the production team to produce radio and digital content for The Takeaway, a daily news program with a unique take on world, national and regional issues produced by WNYC and PRI.
The managing editor will play a key role in planning future content, managing field and studio production and editing scripts and digital content.
They will work to ensure that content meets the highest journalistic and ethical standards. The successful candidate will be a creative thinker, who can find the unexpected angle on news. They must have strong management experience and the ability to work well as part of a team. They should have a demonstrated ability to mentor other journalists. Strong candidates will have five-plus years of editing experience and a proven ability to successfully manage a beat. Field production experience is a plus as is a strong Rolodex of contacts.
The position reports directly to The Takeaway’s executive producer. Key relationships include the show’s hosts and its senior producer.
- Monitor national and international news with an eye to developing coverage for The Takeaway.
- Participate in (and sometimes lead) daily news meetings.
- Assist with daily and long-time bookings of show guests.
- Provide guidance on scripts as they are developed.
- Edit scripts as required.
- Maintain editorial planning and coverage documents.
- Provide support as required to digital and podcast teams.
- 10+ years of audio production
- Proven experience managing a team, ideally a newsroom
- Proven ability and genuine passion for fostering an inclusive, diverse and innovative environment
- Strong editorial and news judgement, with experience reporting and/or editing in a fast-paced news environment
- A passionate and collaborative innovator who is also able to uphold the existing editorial standards of the Takeaway and New York Public Radio
- A passion for podcasts and new forms of storytelling
- Creative ideas about how to make smart audio shows that will get listeners hooked
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to stay calm, upbeat and professional during high-stress assignments
- Comfortable assembling a session in Pro Tools is a plus
- A collaborative spirit is a must
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, and across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment; ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; Microsoft Office software, internet-based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
Please submit a cover letter telling us about an episode of the Takeaway that stuck with you, and why along with your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will be automatically disqualified.
Due to the high volume of responses, we are unable to reply to every submission, and only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.