News Editor, Gothamist
New York Public Radio's mission is to make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the soul more joyful through excellent audio programming that is deeply rooted in New York.
Gothamist, now part of WNYC for over a year, is looking for a full-time editor. Whom are we looking for? Devotees of New York City news, omnivores of arts and culture, the culinarily adventurous, urban etiquette experts, and bodega cat aficionados—in other words, journalists who mix skepticism with a keen eye for details, and are excited to share ideas and act on them.
We are looking for an Editor with strong background in digital journalism who is at ease with overseeing breaking NYC news coverage as well as shepherding longer features. We’re a small team that does big things!
As an Editor, you will be responsible for identifying stories for Gothamist.com from a myriad of sources, including the WNYC newsroom and shows. They have proven themselves as an exceptional communicator and an energetic collaborator, with a sharp eye for trending items. The ability to encourage exceptional writing and insights from reporters while meeting deadlines is also key.
They are also open-minded collaborators who are excited about the opportunities that a combined Gothamist/WNYC newsroom can offer in providing a definitive, authentic take on news and life in New York.
Candidates should also be eager to think about how Gothamist continues to serve and grow its audience of New Yorkers who want to be savvy about city issues—and present fresh ideas on how to reach those who might not have realized Gothamist was the resource they needed.
- Edit stories from reporters from Gothamist and WNYC as well as freelance contributors
- Brainstorm coverage areas and assign stories
- Write stories for the site as needed
- Copy edit for the site as needed
- Manage story publication as needed
- Coordinate and manage content for social media media platforms, newsletters, and other Gothamist & WNYC products
Necessary skills and experience:
- At least 5-7 years leading a content team as an editor for a digital or print publication
- Proven experience as writer and reporter
- Deep knowledge of New York City
- Ability to multitask and take/give direction in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Familiarity of social media best practices
- Experience managing writers and freelancers
- Photo editing skills a plus
- Full-time position (35 hours/week) with competitive compensation package
- Eligible for full insurance benefits (medical, vision, dental, prescription)
- Eligible for 403(B) Retirement Plan
- Fantastic paid time off package including: vacation days, personal/sick days, and paid holidays
If you don't meet all the bullet points, but think you'd be a great candidate—apply and tell us why!
You should respond to WNYC with a resume, a letter expressing interest and links to clips.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.