Associate Producer, The Takeaway
Associate Producer, The Takeaway
New York Public Radio is looking for a curious, creative and focused journalist to join The Takeaway.
Here’s your chance to work on one of the most riveting national daily shows in the industry. Millions of Americans turn to us each week for essential takes on news, politics and the culture happening around them.
The Associate Producer will join a talented team in producing a daily news program with a unique take on the world. They will understand what makes a great Takeaway story and will pitch stories with regularity. They must have exceptional editorial judgment and understand how to use social media responsibly. They will be eager to introduce new voices and contributors to the show and to think about ways to cover stories that go deeper and present interesting new angles. They will think outside the box and push the norms of what traditional public radio can and should sound like.
- Pitches, writes and produces program material for daily show/podcast and for future shows/podcasts, under supervision from senior staff
- Edits tape and related continuity
- Consistently generates timely and well thought-out story/interview ideas, writes tight, compelling copy, and screens and books guests
- Occasionally contributes to digital and social media content
- Supports the host on and off the air, providing research assistance and prepping them for interviews
- At least 2 years of radio, TV or digital production experience
- Non-linear editing experience strongly preferred; Cool Edit/Audacity, Easy Track and/or DAVID experience, ProTools, Audition, Ableton, Avid, Premiere, or experience working in other similar programs
- Demonstrated excellence in news writing and copy-editing, especially on deadline
- Strong understanding of journalistic ethics
- Experience maintaining high journalistic standards under deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and fairness
- Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
- Proven ability to consistently work well with others, including hosts
- Ability to manage complexity and close the loop on communication with collaborators
- Experience with digital, and multimedia production.
- Experience booking and writing briefs on newsmakers
This is a full-time role which includes benefits. New York Public Radio offers competitive compensation with excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance, vacation, sick time and parental leave.
This role is currently operating remotely, with the ability to optionally work from the office/studio sometimes, which is encouraged. However, this position is not a permanent remote position and is part of the New York City staff and will be expected to work from the New York office/studio in a hybrid capacity within the next few months.
Given this role will be in the office/studios, being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 is required unless NYPR has approved a specific religious or medical exemption in advance of the first day of work. At this time, NYPR defines being fully vaccinated as having received two Moderna or Pfizer COVID-19 vaccinations or one Johnson and Johnson vaccination.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.